starting a small reef

salty tank

I have added a green star polyp and a gogorian (spelling?) to my tank. I only have 192 watts which i know isnt much. My green star has been doing good the past month, it has opened and even started spreading. ALl of a sudden the polyps are not opening (past 2 days) Why is this? The polyps on the gogorian sometimes open but not allways.
Could this be caused by copper in my water? What could be in my water that is causing this?

salty tank

Ok my green star polyp and my yellow gogorian polyps arent opening anymore. Why could this be. I did just add a butterfly fish in the tank but ive never seen him nip at either one of them. I have seen him nip at the rocks though.

fedukeford

Originally Posted by salty tank
Ok my green star polyp and my yellow gogorian polyps arent opening anymore. Why could this be. I did just add a butterfly fish in the tank but ive never seen him nip at either one of them. I have seen him nip at the rocks though.
buttyfly fish can sometimes nip - polyps... do the star polyps seem to be melting, or just not opening, mine sometimes go 1 or 2 days w/o opening, do some parts of the gagorgian look like they were burned, like shriviling away??? if so those branches are probley dieing, what are you feeding the gagorgian??

salty tank

The GSP looks like they just arent opening. The center sorta looks like its melting.
I dont feed the gagorian nothin, i was told it was a filter feader.

wax32

How much ammonia is in your tank? GSP's are pretty hardy, but they don't like ammonia at all.