Starting from scratch and need help plz!!!!!!

debster

We currently have a 72G bowfront freshwater tank run by a Fluval 404, an UGF with dual powerheads, heater, thermometer, gravel, decorations (no plants, plastic or live) that we're now going to convert to a saltwater peaceful fish only tank.
I thought the way to go was to try using what I have, but after weeks of reading posts and website it sounds way too complicated and seems easier just to scrap everything and start new.
Please let me know what I need to get my tank going. I really need this in very very simple terms. I would also appreciate advice on future occupants and the numbers I can get. I definitely want a peaceful community and dont want anything aggresssive or semi-aggressive.
Thanks for any help :)

stacyt

I wouldn't go as far as saying that you'll need to scrap eveything and start over. The fluval should be sufficient to get things started, but you may want to consider another form of filtration in the long run. The UGF you will not need and should just remove it. The power heads are good, but you may want a couple more. I would start by removing the gravel, UGF, and decorations. Add about 4-6" of LS, and at least 50 lbs, or so of LR. You'll also want to invest in a good protein skimmer. With enough LR, LS, and protein skimmer, and a light fish load, the LR & LS should take care of your filtration along with routine water changes. Give the tank a good 4 weeks or so to cycles after adding the LR & LS.
As far as good choices for a peaceful FO tank I would recommend:
1. Pair of percula clowns
2. Bengaii Cardinal
3. Royal Gramma
4. Sixline Wrasse
5. Firefish
6. Lawmower Blenny.
Remeber to add fish slowly. Maybe at a rate of about 2 per month. These are just a few peacefule, colorful fish to choose from.
Good luck, and HTH.

debster

How do I use the powerheads without the UGF? I think they're attached to the UGF.
Also, the reason why I suggested I was going to scrap everything was because it said not to put certain things in the trays that sit inside the Fluval canister like carbon. I don't know what's in the trays and what I should take out and leave in and what I should replace it with, if anything because I didn't set it up.
Can you help me with any of these 2 problems?
Thanks.
Debi =)

debster

For clarification when I refer to "those things in the Fluval tray" I mean filter media. I currently use 4 carbon bags in one tray and white ceramic things with a hole in the middle (I have no idea what they are or what they are called---sorry). Thanks again =)

stacyt

I myself don't use the fluval, but I know several people that do. You can buy other media for the fluval other than the carbon. These are just pads to help filter the particles, like detritus, out of the water. The downside to these types of filters is they really require regular cleaning. Ounce a week should be sufficient. Also the white ceramic things are bio media. They provide an area for the bacteria, that breakdown ammonia, to reproduce and live.
The powerheads are probably not permantly attached to the UGF, and should be easy to remove. Do you know what brand they are? Most of them will have this written on them.

scubamedic

I use a Fluval 404 on my saltwater tank. In my bottom tray I have the fluval pre filter blocks then filter floss. In my second tray I have filter floss then sea-chem purigen. In my third and fourth tray I have sea-chem matrix. I also took out the four foam pre-filter blocks that come with it. I basically did not want to rinse those things out. I just throw the filter floss away when I clean the filter.
I have 36# of live rock and crushed coral as my substrate. If I were to have known ahead of time I would have used sand 4-5" thick. If I ever get the nerve I will change the crused coral out.
My tank is doing great and my nitrates have never been over 5 with this set up. I just checked them today and they are 1. Most say crushed coral and a canister filter really produce nitrates and they probably do but I think the matrix and purigen really help keep them down.
I like having the 404 on my tank. It makes it easy to do water changes. I just put the hoses with the aquastop thing in a bucket and open it up.
Good luck.

bas12547

StacyT - Did I read it right - Change the fluval once per week?
I change my every two months.
What do other suggest? I have the foam and ceramic cubes only in it.
Brian

stacyt

You don't need to change the pads every week, but they should be cleaned at least ounce a week, and most change the pads every 1-2 months.

debster

Thanks for all the advice. but I still need clarification on some minor issues:
StacyT: You said I would want to consider another form of filtration down the line. It kinda sounds like a lot of work to clean the Fluval once a week and since I have extra money now, I rather do it right from the start and get what I need to successfully run the tank for the long run. So can you please make suggestions/recommendations for everything I need.
Also, you said the powerheads should just detach from the UGF which they do, but they sit on top of short plastic tubes that attach to the UGF and air comes out of them. If I remove the tubes and UGF do the powerheads just sit in the tank and work by themselves and supposed to push air? I also believe they're MaxiJets but I dont know the speed or model. Is this important for me to find out and how many powerheads will I need and the positions they should be in?
You also said how much LR and LS I would need for a "light fish load". I was told I can get about 10 fish plus any bottom feeders/algae eaters I need. Is this considered a "light fish load"?
Sorry for the long post and thanks again for all your help =)

stacyt

I'm still playing with different methods of filtration. I have found that the canister filters do work, but require more maintenance. There are a couple of different methods that I believe work better.
Right now all of my tanks are running with no external filter, except my aggressive tank. All of my fish only, and reef's use nothing but LR, LS, and a skimmer. I run about 1.5 to 2 lbs. of LR, 4-6" of LS., and a good skimmer. However I am trying to setup a couple of new tanks using a sump/refugium. This gets a little more in depth, but looking at tanks that use them, and talking with different people I beleive that this will work the best.
As far as the fish load goes, it really depends on the fish you are thinking about keeping. How big do the fish get at adult length?
Maxijets are great powerheads. There should be some mounting brackets that came with them. Normally they have suction cups that attach to the sides of the tank. You should be able to attach them wherever you want in the tank. With a 72 i would place at least 4 powerheads. Normally I stagger the powerheads to acheive as much circulation as possible. I would place 1 in the front left corner, 1 in the bottom right corner, 1 in the top back corner, and 1 in the bottom left corner.