Starting New 55gal

Hello all this is my first post in years! I had a 10 gal nano for many years. It was my first tank. I loved that tank! However when I moved a long distance I broke it all down. Now 3 years later I am fianlly back.. and a little rusty! lol What are some of the better kinds of pumps, protien skimmers and lights I should get for a 55 gal. I am so excited to have such a grand tant compared to the 10 gal! Any advice would be appreciated. also is canaster filers better than overflow? Thank you all!

Ok i am looking through some of the other posts but I am not really seeing some brand names. I did see someone recommend AquaCRemora.. is this a good one? I just want to make sure I plan well and get the right equipment!
If this helps my plans are to have: 10 to 20 hermit crabs, 2 perc clowns, maybe a firefish, small yellow tang, coral beauty (way down the road) maybe a blenny.
Thanks again to anyone who can guide me in the right direction. I also plan to buy my live sand and rock from this site. I was hoping maybe the erquipment from this site would be good feedback.

wangotango

Welcome to the boards
I would go with either a built-in overflow or a tank that is reef ready, you'll be much happier in the long run. A good in-sump skimmer for a decent price is the Aqua-C Urchin (pretty much the same thing as the Remora, but for in-sump). For a return pump I'd go with a Mag-7.
Powerheads; I like the Tunze nanostreams, but they're a bit on the expensive side. The Korallia powerheads are a bit cheaper, and produce similar flow.
Lighting; Depends on what you want to keep. Standard fluorescent bulbs will be fine if you want a FOWLR tank, but if you want a reef I'd go T5. I'm running the Aquactinics TX5 fixture on my 55 and everything is doing great.
For the cleanup crew go with more snails than hermits. There are some good packages on this site that you should look at.
For the fish list, everything but the yellow tang would be fine. I won't get into the arguement, but suffice to say that a small yellow tang won't stay small for long, and will need more room to graze.
-Justin

Justin
Thanks for all the great info. Just one question... when you say sump in what does this mean?? Meant for those who do not have a tank under there main tank (overflow tank?)
I will look into the package for cleaner crew. Thats awhile down the road... but great option.
I do plan to have maybe a few easy level corals so that lighting system sounds good. Is it sold on this site as well?
Thanks again for your advise.

wangotango

Yes, a sump is just a smaller tank that is underneath the display that's used to house your heater, skimmer, etc. Water drains from the tank, goes through the sump, and is then pumped back upto the tank. Some people have either a small section devoted to a fuge, or have a seperate tank that is plumbed into the sump. Most people have a deep sand bed, live rock rubble, and some sort of macro algae.
The Tx5 isn't available on this site. The company just raised their prices, but IMO it's well worth it.
-Justin

Justin
seeing I have never had a 55 gal I was not going to do a sump. Is it absolutley necessary for me to set one of those off? Or will I be ok just topping off the water? I opt for the deep sand bed, crushed sand subtrate and live rock comb if I can get away with that!
I will look into the Tx5. It is my understanding that its better to spend a little more on lighting than to so sorry later on.
Also.. i will take your advice about the tang!

wangotango

A sump isn't needed, but are very nice to have. They increase the water volume which increases stability, and give you space to put all of your epuiptment so you have the back of the tank clear. Evaporation would only be noticed from the sump, as the water in the tank would be kept at a constant level. You could get away with a nice HOB filter, but it would have to be cleaned regularly as they trap detritus and other gunk.
IMO skip the crushed coral and use live sand.
-Justin

Oh ok got it!
Thanks Thresa
Justin- I am looking into the lights you suggusted. Tx5.. umm are they suppost to run around $400 ? Wow .. I was exspecting maybe $200. Tell me what you would think of this Nova extreme 2x54 T5 High Output Retrofit kit? something to stay away from???

wangotango

You're going to want more than two bulbs for a reef. TEK retrofits are better quality IMO, and only cost a little bit more. Four bulbs would be ideal.
-Justin

Justin
I looked into the TEK's. Little confussed. You suggest getting the kit?? which are bulbs that fit into my current fixture on the new tank? I saw one listed that looked complete with hood/
I have a 48 in long tank but it has a median in the middle. two sides. which type do I go with? Cut the stip of plastic out in the middle and get a complete 48in? That complete system was $280 , does this sound about right?

wangotango

Retrofits are for people who have wooden canopies over their tanks, you just s-c-r-e-w them in. They won't fit in the plastic hoods that hold the stock lamps in them. If you have a canopy and are handy, retrofits are a cheaper way to go. If you don't mind spending a little extra, you could buy a fully assembled fixture.
Are you talking about the plastic crossbar on the top frame of the tank? You DO NOT want to get rid of that
-Justin

yes thats the bar! Ok I won't touch it.
so then in that case I need 2 24 in fixtures.
I was talking to my local dealer in the area and he says that 2 blub t5's will be ok. I dont think I trust that info as you said 4 blubs are much better. I dont want to have to spend 400 or 500 bucks but I also dont want to regret not setting it up better!!!!!
I will have to go with full fisture TEK.
Thanks for all your help !!

wangotango

A 48" fixture will be fine, there's no need to get two 24" units. The brace will not effect your lighting at all.
-Justin