Starting New Tank NONONO MONEY LIMIT!!!

fishsta

I got one of my very rich friends interested in starting a saltwaterfish tank. He wants me to basically build my dream system, money is no barrier. Please help me in recommending all the equipment so i can buy and build this dream system. I will keep pics and post along the way. Equipment wise i have no clue about lighting really. He wants to be able to keep almost anything he wants. I was thinking of getting him a 110 gallon tank with 3 mh's and vho combonation. Please recommend what you think is the best. Also skimmers, and other equpiment would be very uselful. Remember i will post pics of the tank being set up and along the way!!!! Thanks every body on the site!

mikeyjer

If he/or she wants to be able to keep anything he/or she wants. Better be looking at a much larger tank then a 110 gallon..... :happyfish

darknes

When setting up a saltwater tank, you first need to decide what's going to be in it before planning all the components.
Does he want a reef tank, agressive tank, fish only, fish with some basic corals...etc.
Then, you gotta look at what size of fish does he want, and how many.
Then, how much maintenance does he want to do? Some people have really nice setups where the R/O unit automatically fills a tank, and then it gets mixed there, and with the flip of a valve, it can be dumped into the MT for water changes.
Also, will there be a sump? fuge?

S

sinner's girl

what fish does he want? how much room does he have? bigger is better.
if you search you'll find lots of answers.

mikeyjer

It just all depends on what he/or she plans to keep to decide on the tank and the lighting. If you go with a 150 gallon tank go with a RR tank, you can either do 250w MH or 400w MH. A nice size sump/fuge system, IMO a good skimmer as well, then you should be set. :happyfish

fishsta

The tank is going to be a reef tank, he wants to load it with corals and anenomes. The fish that im going to stock it with are all reef safe fish tangs, jawfish, gobys etc etc. What is the difference between the 250 w and the 400w MH and what manufacture do you recommend? Also shouldnt i have some atinics along with the halides. Which bulbs int he halides? 14000, 10000, 20000???? Is there a good manufacutre that makes a retro fit kit with halides and atinics together? Thanks!

S

sinner's girl

If you want tangs, go with a larger tank, 150 or so not 110.

fanker

you should get him like the biggest tank ever than if he gets over it and u helped him set it up, thanhe will give u the tank. and that would be AWSOME!!!! :hilarious

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Fishsta
The tank is going to be a reef tank, he wants to load it with corals and anenomes. The fish that im going to stock it with are all reef safe fish tangs, jawfish, gobys etc etc. What is the difference between the 250 w and the 400w MH and what manufacture do you recommend? Also shouldnt i have some atinics along with the halides. Which bulbs int he halides? 14000, 10000, 20000???? Is there a good manufacutre that makes a retro fit kit with halides and atinics together? Thanks!
The difference between the bulbs are the depths it penetrates depending on the depth of the tank and depending on what type of stuffs are you keeping especially near the bottom of the sandbed and plus the light requirements of the corals, anemone, clams, etc. IF I remember right a 150g tank is more wide and it's around 4-5' in length? I would be looking at something a little bit bigger then a 150g tank if you decide to keep tangs, you need the length as well, right around 6'+ Maybe a 180g instead? 10k, 14k, and 20k is really up to you, 10k and 14k needs actinic supplement, but there are folks who don't use a supplement lighting and do just as good, IMO Actinics is needed. With 20k there is really no need for supplement lighting, but there's also folks that uses supplement along with it as well, IMO it isn't needed. There's quite a few that would make a retrofit kit for those combination lighting kit, a good place to start would be Hellolights dot com. I run my 250w SE MH 20k XM bulbs with ARO Electronic Ballast, but there's also other types of ballast available as well, just do your research to find the best ballast for your needs. I hope this helps.... :happyfish

vanos

How much space does he have and will it be in his home or at work? If money is no object, I would recommend the largest tank he could get. Will you be taking care of it? What will be his role?

fishsta

The tank will be in his home. Space is really no issue his house is 11,000 sq ft. He was really looking for a tank around 150 prolly but I could get him to go bigger no problem. Any refugium designs that would incorperate a skimmer. Also what skimmer should i get for it? THanks

hagfish

As Vanos said, if money is no option, I'd definitely go larger than 150 gallons. I think I'd go for at least 250 gallons, more really. I know people that don't have the money, but have 300-400 gallon tanks. I plan on being one of those people some day.

darknes

If money is not a factor, I would really recommend finding an expert in your area who can go to his house to look at the area, and custom design an entire tank. You are probably going to want a custom built sump/fuge anyway.

darknes

The reason I say this is because a large reef tank is going to need a lot of plumbing and customization that you probably won't be able to get through the New Hobbyist forums.
Maybe your friend could hire someone like SQUIDD to visit for a week, and setup the entire thing.

dmjordan

Originally Posted by Fishsta
I got one of my very rich friends interested in starting a saltwaterfish tank. He wants me to basically build my dream system, money is no barrier. Please help me in recommending all the equipment so i can buy and build this dream system. I will keep pics and post along the way. Equipment wise i have no clue about lighting really. He wants to be able to keep almost anything he wants. I was thinking of getting him a 110 gallon tank with 3 mh's and vho combonation. Please recommend what you think is the best. Also skimmers, and other equpiment would be very uselful. Remember i will post pics of the tank being set up and along the way!!!! Thanks every body on the site!
On 12/30/05 you started a thread called "I need help setting up a 150 gallon tank for doctors office!!!" Seems like you are looking for the same answers. Is this for the same "rich friend"? You might find your answers in some of your own previous threads.