Starting question

underpar

My wife and I are in the process of building a new home. I planned to include in my den a 90 gallon reef tank. I have some experience with a salt water set-up (15-20 years ago). Surprisingly, my wife would like to include this project in the living room and make it a focal point of the room. It would have to be oriented in the room as a peninsula-type room divider. It has been suggested to me that I increase the size to a 120 gallon that is 48" long by 24" wide. Frankly I am quite intimidated by this scenario! I am very interested in any input -from "go for it" to "forget it"- that might help me make a decision.
Thanks!

X

xoxox

If its going to be a room divider then I'd go with the 120. However, it will cost more to purchase and set up. Things have changed from years ago and there is many new and exciting equiptment that you can spent major amounts of $ on.

fishy7

Hey underpar and welcome to the boards.

I had the same questions/issues. I went with a 215 Oceanic room divider. When my wife and I decieded to build, the tank was incorportated in the plans and is built into an arch. The tank divides the family and kitchen. ***)
I was VERY intimidated at first, but once you get it up and running, piece of cake. Just to let you know, I had 0 experience with SW. Take it slow and do your homework, you will be fine.
Helpful hints
:

1) The larger the tank the easier to care for.
2) Have your wiring in the plans for the house. (Let me know if you want more info)
3) Have a special drain in the floor by your tank.
4) Do not rush your tank, it takes time to mature, like a fine wine
5) Know what you want in your tank so you can develop a plan for stocking
6) Buy upgraded equipment. You will throw money down the drain on cheap equipment.
7) Becareful with the advice your recieve, wise to bounce it off the boards.
8) Careing for a tank is a lifestyle change.
9) Develop a good relationship with your LFS, these guys can help you out in a pinch, vacations and emergencies. Not to mention on the price for goods.
10) Have your LFS set up your tank. There is not better insurance policy you can buy. :joy:
If you are going to make it a focal point go whith as large as you can. The tank makes a statement when guests enter your home. Be prepared for a 100 questions.

You will not be dissappointed with your idea! Let me know if you would like to see additional pictures or share more details about my set up/ equipment/ideas.
Good luck and keep us posted!

underpar

Thanks for the advice. But the kitchen seems to have grown to the point there is no room for the divider. Thus, I will be going with a more traditional set-up in the den.
Best of luck to all!!!

jace18

Hey FISHY7
I am setting up An Oceanic 215 very soon. Would be great to talk to you about your setup. Shoot me an email my hotmail account mindyjace @ Hotmail.com
Thanks
Jace