Starting up 55 gal need advice before setup

natifishguy

So I'm getting back into the hobby after 5 years starting from scratch..Going to start out with a fowlr then going to start transitioning to a reef tank..Still a little rusty on remembering certain stuff .. I don't know what lighting would be best for this setup also still gotta get some power heads and live sand any help or suggestions would be much appreciated will post pics soon..
Here's what I have so far
55 gallon tank and stand
Pro clear 75 wet/dry filter
Marineland 100 protein skimmer
9w coralife uv sterilizer

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by natifishguy http:///t/395713/starting-up-55-gal-need-advice-before-setup#post_3523694
So I'm getting back into the hobby after 5 years starting from scratch..Going to start out with a fowlr then going to start transitioning to a reef tank..Still a little rusty on remembering certain stuff .. I don't know what lighting would be best for this setup also still gotta get some power heads and live sand any help or suggestions would be much appreciated will post pics soon..
Here's what I have so far
55 gallon tank and stand
Pro clear 75 wet/dry filter
Marineland 100 protein skimmer
9w coralife uv sterilizer
Hi,
Welcome to the site!
The sterilizer isn't needed, and will kill off the tiny creatures that come out at night, that's why we pay so much for "live" rock...so if you use it, be sure to turn the unit off when lights are off. I hate the Coralife brand anything, they went out of business for a reason.
Lighting is the most expensive cost next to the rock....If you intend to upgrade to a reef later on, it would be cheaper to get the stronger lights to begin with. The fish won't care what lights you use. If you only intend for soft corals, and not want an anemone or SPS, you could get away with T5HO. If you want to start off with cheaper...the linkable T5HO will allow you to upgrade much easier, and you can build the lighting up slowly without killing the pocket book.
The big rave now are LEDs, then there is always the Metal Halides, they are not as expensive as they used to be, but they aren't cheap either.
Power heads: MP10 is also the big rave. The Koralia brand are pretty good as well. I like the magnet. LOL...I remember trying to tie up a maxi-jet so it would stop falling and creating a sand storm. So the ones with magnets, or the powerful clip type
suction cup is the only ones I would get.

beaslbob

I agree the sterilizer isn't needed.
I would highly recommend starting the tank with marco algaes at the very beginning. In a refugium (even just a tank partition) for sure.
That way the tank will be balanced out and stabilized right from the start.
then do all the rest.
But still that's just me and my .02

ak_reefer

Welcome!! As far as rock goes to save buy dry rock and just seed that with a small amount of live rock. No need to go out and buy 60+ lbs of live rock. Lights are the most expensive items you will purchase hands down as stated above if you plan on going with a full blown reef down the road buy lights to fit your needs in the future in the end it will save you money.
Remember take it slow!
Sent from the great beyond via Tapatalk 2.5!!

natifishguy

Btl what's the difference between the wet/dry filter and overflow with a sump setup??? Only reason I'm using the wet/dry is I've had it sitting in my parents basement and never got to use it.. Prolly wont use the uv sterilizer for now..prolly going to go with led lights for the tank and still undecided on power heads but kinda leaning toward the korallia..trying to build this tank slowly but surely adding new stuff ever week or so..thanks for all the advice

geridoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by natifishguy http:///t/395713/starting-up-55-gal-need-advice-before-setup#post_3523839
Btl what's the difference between the wet/dry filter and overflow with a sump setup??? Only reason I'm using the wet/dry is I've had it sitting in my parents basement and never got to use it.. Prolly wont use the uv sterilizer for now..prolly going to go with led lights for the tank and still undecided on power heads but kinda leaning toward the korallia..trying to build this tank slowly but surely adding new stuff ever week or so..thanks for all the advice
In a wet/dry system water flows from the display into the w/d filter, over some type of media (bioballs, ceramic rings, etc.), and back to the tank. Note that in this system the media is not submerged, but there is a continuous flow of water over it. This provides a high oxygen availability environment known as aerobic. In such an environment ammonium is converted tonitrites, and then to nitrates, but the process ends there. W/d filters are thus known as "nitrate factories", which in a sense, is a good thing because for fish only systems moderate nitrate levels are no problem. However, in reef systems many of the organisms are very sensitive to nitrate too, so this type of filtration will not work. In a sump system, the overflow leads into another body of water int he sump where there may be equipment such as heaters, etc, and a skimmer, which removes nitrogen-containing wastes, lowering the production of nitrates somewhat. The best way to get rid of nitrates, however, is in an anaerobic environment (little oxygen). Here the nitrates are converted by anaerobic bacteria to nitrogen gas, which just leaves peacefully. While there are pieces of equipment that will house such bacteria, in many systems it not necessary to use anything other than good quality live rock. Such rock has small pores in it in which anaerobic bacteria thrive by ridding the water of nitrates, and everyone is happy (at least until some other disaster overtakes the tank). If you are seriously comtemplating going reef down the line I would recommend starting your system now with a sump. There are just too many good points favoring this type of set-up.

sn8kbyt

I will say starting out I am no expert and have only had my 1st saltwater tank up for under 3 months. That said I agree with what everyone else has said. I bought over 20 books and spent many hours a week over 6 months planning the conversion of my old 90 gallon freshwater tank to saltwater. I could not be happier. The one thing I came across over and over was the use of a sump and I think it is one of the main reasons I had a quick tank cycle and have had "perfect" water to this day. I built mine out of a 29gallon tank some cheap cut glass and a tube of tank silicone in about 6 hours. The piping and overflow will cost you a bit more but well worth it.
I like you wanted to start with a FOWLR and then possibly evolve into a reef. FLOW..FLOW...FLOW is something you will hear over and over again with a reef tank as well as a FOWLR. So my 2 cents start out right out of the box and build a sump so you have a good foundation for a happy tank and future upgrades.
I only use good quality live rock in my system best filter out there and the least amount of maintenance!!

natifishguy

Alright ..thanks for all the advice everyone..still putting my filtration system togather looked into turning my wet/dry to sump but doesn't seem possible so here's my plan have the water go through the wet/dry with protein skimmer etc after the wet/dry have the water pumped into a 5 gallon refugium then back up to the tank.. Just don't know what pump I should use to pump water from wet/dry to refugium then what pump to use from refugium to tank can I use my return pump from my wet/dry in the refugium or will it be to much????also decided to go with two hydor koralia evo 600 gph..now just gotta save up for my liverock and my lighting and I should be good to go..this time around turning out to be a lot better experience then last time