Starting with Dry Rock

clatong

Though I'm still early in the research phase, I plan on starting a 36 gallon saltwater tank in the future. Searching online, I've found some very attractive dry rock, packaged with Dry Aragonite sand. The rock is supposedly "pre-cycled", which I'm told will speed up the process.
I've read that this can be a good start for someone like me, who does not plan on having corals, and doesn't want to bother with potential hitchickers found on live rock. I have plenty of time and patience, so the additional time it will take for the tank to cycle using dry rock is acceptable to me.
My question is how long will the tank take to cycle if I use 1 inch of substrate and roughly 40 lbs of this "pre-cycled" dry rock? Is there some sort of bacteria I can/should add to the tank, without getting any live rock or live sand?
Thanks for your help!

srfisher17

Pre-Cycled dry rock sounds like an oxymoron. I assume this just means the addition of one of the many "miracle-gro" cycle jump starters. I've read many reports on these bacteria products (even tried one myself) and have never heard any great stories about any of them. As many of these products seem to have been "engineered' somewhat, they may even be harmful; because they may compete with natural bacteria. I don't believe there is anything, other than time, to establish a healthy, cycled tank. Dry (base) rock is fine, but be sure you have some other means of bio-filtration until the rock is well established as a home for bacteria. A large HOB or canister filter would be fine, combined with water changes. I'm assuming you want to add fish right after the natural cycle.

clatong

Thank you!
If I were to switch tactics and place just dry base rock with live sand, would the rock then become live eventually, without using any other means of bi-filtration? If so, what would the estimated time be for the cycle?

I have a 110g that I broke down to set up differently, but had to remove the fish. I set up my 37g, dry sand, dry (base rock), with 2 ecco canister filters. Tossed it a little food to start the cycle, and also added stress zyme. It took about a week and a half before the nitrite levels droped to 0. Added my fish properly and all is fine. Test every other day and levels are all still 0, has been about a week. The 110g will be ready to set back up at the end of this week. I am doing the same with that tank, dry sand, transfer the rock from the 37 over and additional that I purchased but did not use in the 37.

clatong

Is it correct to say that live sand used with dry rock will eventually make the rock "live", and vise versa?
Thanks!