STINGRAY EXPERTS can you answer?

polarpooch

Saw an amazing ray at LFS today...but no one there had any idea what its scientific name was. Hmmm... It was called a "Pacific Black Stingray". I googled it, but no luck. This is not my favorite LFS--not everyone there knows what they're talking about. A clerk told me it was a small-variety stingray and very hardy (couldn't tell me HOW small--or large for that matter!). True? Any info on these animals??
It is spectacular. It is shaped EXACTLY like a blue spot ribbontail, only jet black. I found a pic of an oval stingaree (also jet black) in Scott Michael's "Aquarium Sharks and Rays", but it didn't look the same as the one I saw. I did find info on the "Pacific Stingray"--which gets way too large (something like a 3 ft. disc--yikes!). Am upgrading my ray tank this spring and would like to add another small ray--this one is very intruiging and simply gorgeous. But if it's just a black colored blue spot ribbontail, or that giant, forget it!

S

starfishjackedme

Out of curiousity, what kind of luck have you had keeping rays and how big is your tank?

polarpooch

I have a small (9-10" disc) bluespot ribbontail ray in a 180g. She's the only inhabitant (no rock, just soft sand and "shelves" for her to hide under).
I've had extrordinarily good luck with her. But there's heavy emphasis on LUCK there.
I had been planning a stingray tank. (I was planning for a yellow stingray, they're known for being much hardier).
Onto my particular ray (she's one you'll see in stores more often than many others):
Bluespots are notorious aquarium casualties. I've read everything I can on them and without fail, everyone says there's a 90 percent chance the ray will die within a month.
LUCKILY she hasn't died. I got her nearly a year ago. LUCKILY she ate almost right away. LUCKILY she eats captive fare.
I don't know if it's something I did, or that she's just a tough little ray. The only thing I think I do differently than some folks who haven't had success with bluespots is use RO water , soak her food in Selcon, and keep her away from heavy foot traffic and noise in my home. Maybe it's the love, baby! (kidding)
Honestly, I thought she'd be dead by now. But she's been around long enough I fully expect her to still be here when my 300 is set up in spring...

polarpooch

I got hold of the owner of the LFS today. He said a guy brought the ray in and told them it was a "Vespa Ray" from the Pacific and that he got it in Chicago for $150. Can't find any reference on "vespa ray"...found a lot of sites on those obnoxious motorscooters...but nothing on stingrays! Anyone know of a Chicago FS that specializes in odd or unique stingrays? Maybe I can could call them...

polarpooch

Makes me wonder if this guy was lying about what kind of stingray he has...did you read the 1.8 METER disc length on that ray?! HOLY cats! The LFS told me they sold it today...probably to some poor guy who doesn't have a clue...now I guess I'll never know what it was.
So for future reference, can anyone give advice on a nice, small stingray...still considering the yellow, but wonder if anyone out there has ever had a bullseye or scorpion ray and what kind of luck you've had?

u235a4

I can't help you with the ones you just asked about but i have had 2 yellows 1 would never eat and i tried everything and died the other one has done great since dayone and is still going strong and very interactive with me and the wife.

polarpooch

Sorry about your one ray...glad to hear you're doing well with the second. Are yellows in the same category as Bluespot Ribbontails for hardiness? Some sites say yes, others say they're fairly hardy. What're your thoughts?

u235a4

only have two that one i can't really answer tho i am after a female to have with my male....I would say if they ship ok and then eat your 75% of the way home and the rest is somewhat up to you.... just my 2 cents

S

starfishjackedme

I think a lot of it has to do with the size of the tank. My friend has a 200 aggressive setup with a blue spotted ray and a panther grouper. He has had this ray for at least a year with no probs. I couldn't understand why people have problems keeping these when my friend is NO expert in aquaria. I think a lot of peeps like these critters and want to sqeeze them in a 55 - JMO.

polarpooch

Agreed. But even in large setups, I am told the Bluespot is a tough one to keep. I feel fortunate mine is doing so well...she's in a 180g--moving her in spring to 300g along with my eels. You're probably wondering how I'm going to solve the "cave" issue for the eels...hard to explain, but I am almost certain it will work. IF not, eels go into the 180g then--they need a bigger house anyway--and I start re-thinking the furniture in my living room.