Stock Suggestion?

sooz

I have a 48 gallon hexagonal FOWLR tank (closed system), and several months ago I lost all of my fish due to a malfunctioning powerhead. I put in a GFCI outlet, and a grounding probe, and have been rebuilding my tank.
My inverts survived the shock. I have a purple lobster, a chocolate chip starfish, some hermits and snails, and 1 reef conch.
So far for fish I have a diamond watchman goby, a lawnmower blenny, a sixline wrasse, and 2 orbicular cardinals. I don't have room for too many more fish, but I would like to add a few - preferably something colorful and interesting. I have always had blue-green chromis, but they seem to die so easily.
Any suggestions for something to add to my tank that is non-agressive, easy to take care of, and interesting to watch?

fishygurl

with that stock list some possible fish u could add could be a blackcap basslet or royal gramma, a firefish, a clown fish or 2, a pygmy angel, hawkfish
im not saying all of those.. but do you like any of those?

sooz

I used to have a coral beauty and she did well, so a dwarf angelfish is a possibility. I am a little nervouse about the Gramma because I used to have another dottyback (a Springers) and it was terribly agressive. Are Royal Grammas better?
I have never had firefish or clowns. I know about firefish and I think I will definitely try to get one of those. Is it true that clown fish don't need a host anenome? Because my husband would love to have a clown fish.
Edit - I just looked up the Blackcap Bassslet - so pretty! But it's a dottyback, too, yes?

fishygurl

Originally Posted by sooz
http:///forum/post/2660650
I used to have a coral beauty and she did well, so a dwarf angelfish is a possibility. I am a little nervouse about the Gramma because I used to have another dottyback (a Springers) and it was terribly agressive. Are Royal Grammas better?
I have never had firefish or clowns. I know about firefish and I think I will definitely try to get one of those. Is it true that clown fish don't need a host anenome? Because my husband would love to have a clown fish.
Edit - I just looked up the Blackcap Bassslet - so pretty! But it's a dottyback, too, yes?
i think a pygmy angel would do better then a dwarf but a dwarf is a possibilty.. ive never owned a royal gramma but i know most arnt nearly as aggressive as dottybacks, those things are mean..., anyways ive had blackcap basslets and they are truly beautiful fish they are not that aggressive, however they will defend their little cave that they will pick out and not let anyone near it that much.. ive actually seen mine pick up a hermit crab by the shell since it was near his cave swim off and chuck it away from his cave it was so cute!!! lol
firefish and clowns imo are very easy to keep. and yes clowns do not need an anemone at all..ever.. they may try to host something else like another coral, rock, or a power head but they dont need a host.. you could get 2 if you would like but make sure they are the same type (i wouldnt get a marroon they are the most aggressive and the biggest) make sure one is smaller and one is bigger
so put together a stocklist that u think u would like and i along with other people could give our opinions on it.. (i dont know much about non reef safe fish all the ones i suggested can be kept in a reef minus the hawkfish and angel which are iffy..)
royal grammas and blackcap basslets arnt really a dottyback

sooz

What about a Flame Angel? My mom has one and it's beautiful, but her tank is 150 gallons.
So far I think we will get a firefish for sure, and a clown - which kind of clownfish do y'all think would be best? We would probably only get one, and it needs to get along. Is the Ocillarus the best bet?

fishygurl

Originally Posted by sooz
http:///forum/post/2661994
What about a Flame Angel? My mom has one and it's beautiful, but her tank is 150 gallons.
So far I think we will get a firefish for sure, and a clown - which kind of clownfish do y'all think would be best? We would probably only get one, and it needs to get along. Is the Ocillarus the best bet?
flame angels are fine but they are iffy with corals.. and ya for clowns imo the best ones are the perc or false perc (occelaris *sp*)

ya.... the ocellaris (false perc) are the best, and in my opinion, the best looking. you might be able to get away with a pair, but i dont know.... they do breed in captivity