Stocking Advice Please

bigfish77

I have a 180 gallon tank currently freshwater and am looking to start a salt tank. I have read a bunch but want to get advice on a stocking list. The foot print is not as large 60 (L) x 24 (W) x 30 (H). I am wanting to do fish only! I am hoping to get a few of these fish they are listed in order of importance. I just want an idea, also I know some fish can get territorial so from my list what should I add early and what should I add towards end of stocking? I am hoping to purchase all smaller/medium sized fish.

1-Red Tail Triggerfish (Xanthichthys sp.)
1-Raccoon Butterflyfish (Chaetodon lunula)
1-Lyretail Wrasse (Thalassoma lunare)
1-Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)
1-Maroon Clownfish
1-Flame Angelfish
1-Potter's Angelfish
1-Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon) or any other tang that might be ok with Purple???
1-Majestic Blue Girdled Angelfish (Pomacanthus navarchus) not sure if this would fit?

I would love if I could have 11-12 total fish but not sure what to expect? I would be happy with 10 fish but am not sure what is bad or good from this list. Please let me know...

lmforbis

I don't really se too many issues.
Definitely the butterfly first and you want it comfortable and eating very well before adding anything else that might out compete it for food.
I'd avoid the powder blue tang. Very territorial as is the purple.You could do a powder brown or a kole tang. Add purple last.
I know nothing about triggers so somebody else will have to answer that one.
I'd add either the potters or flame not both. I have a tank of similar dimensions and have a flame, would love a potters but it just wouldn't work.
Maroon clown is one of my favorites, only one though two will lead to a fight.
The blue girded angel is beautiful. I've never had one though.
My biggest concern is the tank is only 5 feet long and some of these fish get pretty big.

Be sure to set up a quarantine tank. Angels are prone to flukes and tangs to ick. Velvet is running rampant in the distributors systems. any fish you add puts the rest at risk. You have some pretty expensive fish on the list. It is easier to at first and know they are going in healthy than to try to catch every fish later and QT. All you need for a QT is a 10-20 gallon tank a hang on filter a heater and a power head for flow. PVC pipes make great hiding spots and can be easily cleaned.
Go slowly one fish at a time.

jay0705

Imforbis hit all my points. The red tail aka sargassum trigger is probably the most docile trigger you can get. Reef safe almost entirely. The tang issue is tricky with a 5 ft tank. The purple and maybe a bristle tooth tang.

bigfish77

I would be fine with one tang and of course love purple, but read about them being tough. I would set up a 20H or 29 gallon for QT. I want some bigger fish but realize the foot print can be an issue for anything 9-10 inch. I could substitute the purple for a yellow tang and drop the butterfly. I am trying to pick based on size and a variety of colors. So if I got blue or purple tang, raccoon would be the yellow. I want a trigger and read about the saragassum being gentle for a trigger. I realize most triggers are assholes as they age, but everything I am reading says it should be a good choice. I am reading tons... and would probably only be able to add fish very slowly due to price point and QT. Obviously if I luck out and find 2 fish from same supplier or locally might need to just QT both. I could drop the flame and go with the potters I just need more info on the Majestic Blue Girdled angel. Thanks for all the help, I love talking fish with people who know and understand.

lmforbis

I don't think you'd have an issue with the purple tang but you'd want to add toward the end of the fish additions. They can be a-holes but there are tangs that are much worse.

jay0705

Added towards the end and with no similar looking tangs a purple would be fine. I love the looks of a mature purple. I haven't gotten 1 due to temperament and the fact i have other tangs. The trigger is the ideal choice if u want a nice one. If you want some yellow look into a midas blenny

bigfish77

Is the sargassum trigger a shade of blue or more grey? Pics don't really help and I am not sure since in videos it varies. is there a colllection point with more color

jay0705

It can vary. If you want a specific look. Divers den and others like it. Are the excact fish u get in the pic

bigfish77

How difficult would it be to add an eel the above mentioned set up? I keep looking at zebra eels but realize you don't actually see them that much... any help also if I plan on using some power filters how do you prevent them jumping out at the return?

jay0705

That is the issues w eels, escape. You need a completely sealed top. Even then they can get into over flows. The zebra is one I've contemplated myself tho. A have a blonde naso, great fish. Do not add any other naso species tho