Stocking list and order for 65 gallon

stressfree

I'm just getting started with a 65 gal FOWLR and working on a stocking plan for what and in what order to maximize compatibility. I appreciate opinions/feedback.
1) start with a pair of tank bred clowns, likely Ocellaris but could go with percula
2) tank bred neon goby
3) flame hawkfish (could go long-nose but heavily leaning toward flame)
4) tank bred orchid dottyback
5) flameback angel (could go with a flame but think the blue and yellow/orange colors of the flameback will add a nice new contrast)
6) blue jaw triggerfish (would love to go with a picasso but I'm worried about compatibility and the blue jaw sounds like it's likely to fit in this type of community better and might be able to keep some CUC with blue jaw while picasso will definitely wipe it out)
Is this a good order of introduction? I'm not sure about the order of the hawkfish/dottyback and likewise with the angel/triggerfish. I could do 2 fish at once too if that helps so appreciate any thoughts on the order.
Only other concern is the neon goby with hawkfish and triggerfish but hopi ng since it is a cleaner that will be established that it will be welcome rather than picked on or eaten.
Thanks in advance!

mr. limpid

The pair of clowns is my only concern. They get mean when guarding there eggs. My pair guards 1/3 of the tank from all fish and I have a 135 6' long. They even attack me when I'm cleaning the glass by them. If you have one it will not get that mean.

btldreef

My concern is actually with the trigger. I really don't think a trigger belongs in that size tank, and in doing so, it's going to make it more aggressive. IMO, triggers have no place in tanks that are under 90G, really not anything that isn't 5ft+ long.
I've read that Percula's can be less aggressive than Ocellaris when it comes to them breeding and guarding eggs. My Ocellaris were never aggressive when they had eggs unless a fish came right up to the nest, as if they were trying to eat the eggs, but otherwise the other fish could swim by without being attacked. I think it all depends on the fish, etc.

novahobbies

Blue throat triggers tend to get big. I also don't really think it's going to be a good fish for a 65...sorry....but you will very likely see some aggression issues because of the small tank size.
Now, have you thought about butterflyfish? Since you're doing a FOWLER tank, you have a good setup (and good tankmates!) for a number of butterflys. I realize we're probably raining on your showpiece fish here, but I think you will find a number of butterflies that are really pretty and definitely have that "show" presence in the tank.
Count me in as another person who is lukewarm about the clowns. My personal feeling (which you shoould totally ignore if you want to!) is that they're more trouble than they're worth. Clowns are grouchy little buggers who aren't much better than well-dressed thugs. Sure, your tank is more than big enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if the pair become the tank rulers, even to the point of chasing you and biting you when your hand is in the tank. Mine did. All the time.
lousy little buggers..........

stressfree

Thanks all for the great input! I appreciate it.
The clown feedback has caught me a little off guard since most of the books and websites I've been reading fish profiles on classify all my choices as semi-aggressive except for the clowns and goby that are generally marked peaceful with the caveat of aggression toward other clowns. Of course when you add breeding to the equation I can see how that parental protection could cause issues. Will have to give that some more thought and perhaps go with a single -- of course all the reading recommends pairs. It's good to get some opinions here since there's so much conflicting info. At least with the clowns by the time I'm stocked up I might well be in the mood to try a smaller reef tank as a complement and could move them so there's options.
Same kind of conflicting info on the trigger. With the blue jaw/throat being one of the smaller lots of info lists them appropriate for 50 to 70 gallon range but then I see info calling for 120 gal. minimum and lots of hobbyists consistently call for 90 or more for any trigger. Even though I'd really love the picasso its certainly known for its aggression but the blue throat gets a lot of feedback as more peaceful and tolerant, different from all the other triggers, so was leaning that way with my smaller tank. I'm trying to be ethical and avoid issues, plan to try and buy all tank bred or MAC certified if possible for those that can't be bred and I don't want to put any fish into inappropriate environments.
Will have to read up on butterflies. I last had a saltwater tank 20 years ago and at that point butterflies were so tough with their feeding habits but that was pre-live rock days so maybe I need to re-evaluate them as a possibility. I love many of them by appearance but remembered their delicate natures so haven't even considered them. I'm focused on hardy to hopefully keep everyone thriving. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll study up on butterfly options.
In the meantime if anyone has kept a blue throat trigger in a 65 gallon range would love to know how it went -- definitely sounds like a bad idea so far but nothing would beat hearing first hand experience. Lots of accounts out there with picasso's but that seems to be a bit of a different trigger. I can face the truth if the accounts are bad. Thanks again!

mr. limpid

There plenty of butterflies that will do fine in your system. They require pristine water quality and proper food. I have 2 1/2 butterflies in my 135, 1/2 because I still have a Pakistan in my QT. A good food that I'm having good luck with butterflies is San Francisco Bay Angle/Butterfly Formula, it contains sponge, + other foods. Some butterflies for your tank (I would only add 1) Saddleback (Chaetodon ephippium) because of its coloring I think you would like it similar to picasso trigger. Or a lattice, heniochus or pearlscale just some option.

novahobbies

Heniochus would be pretty. Copperband, Yellow Longnose or a Latticed Butterfly would also be nice additions. Don't forget that Copperbands can still be somewhat difficult to get eating.

stressfree

Thanks for all the butterfly recommendations. I've always liked the look of the heniochus but just looked up the saddleback for the first time, wow, it is brilliantly marked and colored. I will have to try and watch some of these fish as I'm stocking up since it will be six months or more til I'm at that point in my stocking.
Just got up and running today with my live rock and live sand with my first batch of water. All went well so excited to cycle and and get my first members in the community. I picked my LFS clean of all the good cured rock and ended up with 50 lbs but feels like I could come close to doubling that, once the water went in it doesn't seem like that much.
When do you all suggest getting the start if a CUC together? Thanks for all the advice.

rickross23

When the parameters start stabilizing....post them here or test them yourself or at your LFS....if you post here, we will tell you when you can.
PATIENCE.

S

smallreef

I would say you have a good 2-4 week wait while you tank gets through its cycle and starts to build up the beneficial bacteria before buying any kind of CUC...
and to start out you wont need to much, since there wont be much to clean up... get at most a dozen snails and 6 or so hermit crabs ( if you have any hair algae they will eat it fairly wuickly then turn to eating the snails if they dont have something better to eat, lol) and then wait another 2 weeks after the CUC to add your 1st fish... I actually waited about 2 months before I put a fish in my tank...

rickross23

Wow smallreef! My tank was cycled in like 3 weeks! I recently found out the previous owner of my tank told me the lights were T5s.....I found out they were 150w metal halide.....YES! Bonus! I have a RBTA in now, but could i get a sebae do you think or do you think I need better lights?

S

smallreef

The time it takes your tank to cycle is one thing...the time it takes to put in fish and wait is another amount of time...
the most common reason for people getting out of the hobby is an event occuring that they could have avoided, i.e. crash from ammonia from adding fish to fast...if you do things in weeks instead of days it has a much better outcome
id rather wait a bit and the tank take time to develop the beneficial bacteria which is why i recommend this method