Stocking List for my 240

howieumd

Hi, I have a 240 gallon that is still cycling with a 120 gallon sump/fuge. In the meantime, while I wait, I am trying to work out my fish list and determine the order I should add them. Please let me know your thoughts on compatibility issues with the fish below and the order you would add them. I currently have 320 lbs of live rock and eventually want to make it into a reef tank. I'm looking to hear subtractions if you think it's too many or somebody that won't get along with others or any additions that might fit in nice. I know it's a big list and I can't fit it all, which is why I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks!
1) Blue Face Angel (already have him in my 72, he has to go to the 240, hopefully will be reef safe, heard mixed info on that)
2) 5 Green Chromis (have 3 in my 72 and will probably get 2 more and add these first to the 240)
3) Blackcap Basslet (already have this in my 72 as well)
4) Neon Goby (also have 1 already in my 72)
5) 2 True Percula Clowns (currently have a 5" maroon in the 72 that I'm going to trade in)
6) Chevron Tang (my favortie tang)
7) Powder Blue Tang (another tang I really would like to add)
8) Copperband Butterfly (would love a butterfly, needs much more established tank so he'd be down the line, correct? most reef safe one, but still a chance, right?)
9) Foxface (really like this fish, no experience with them though)
10) Mandarin Goby (definitely going in and will be last, once pods develop more)
11) Blue Throat Trigger (somewhat reef safe? will he leave inverts alone? get along with others? have heard mixed info on this one, will look for smallest one I can find)
12) Flame Angel (one of my favorite fish, willing to take the chance to see if I get one that will be reef safe)

angelsrock

i will list from what i would add first starting to what i would add last. obviously everything that you have in your 72, and you should add a little water from your 72 a little at the time for the blueface. if the tank doesn't have mature water in it then they don't do that well. or you could keep him in the 72 until your 240 is at least 6 months old which i would do. ok here goes the list on top of what you already havewhich can be added right away except the blueface: 2 True Percula Clowns, Foxface, Blue Throat Trigger i would switch with a pinktail trigger they are more reef safe but with shrimps and possibly the neon goby will be eaten as with all triggers. the next fish should not start to be added until tank is mature as well and after it is mature this is how i would add them:Chevron Tang(put this here cause it'syour fav), Flame Angel, Copperband Butterfly,Powder Blue Tang, Mandarin Goby.

O

osufarker

Bio-Load should be fine. I have a 10" blue throat in my 240. I can say for a fact that mine is reef safe, not sure about all of them. There are several snails and cleaner shrimp in the tank and the trigger does not bother any of them. I think if the shrimp are in the tank before the trigger it should be okay.

angelsrock

yeah your bioload should be fine as long as the filter is rated for or above 240. i always use filters that are rated for bigger tanks.

howieumd

I don't really have a filter. I have a 120 gallon sump/fuge in the basement below where everything is getting filtered. My skimmer should be big enough, it's the AquaC EV 240. One question. If I just had the 240, would my bio-load just be based off the water in that? Since I have the 120 gallon sump/fuge, which really only is holding about 85-90 gallons, does that water help the bio-load, meaning I can actually factor my bio-load based off about 300 gallons? Just wondering. Thanks!

howieumd

How would a Harlequin Tusk fit into the above mentioned list? Would snails be ok with a Tusk? I probably can't have a cleaner shrimp, right? Thanks!

stessman

well i would think your bioload would somewhat go off your tank and fuge but im no expert and dont claim to be
bump

ninjaboy

I think your bio load is fine. since you have all these live rocks. i think everything else is fine except the gobies. If you get a trigger you are just taking your chances. I had trigger in my tank with shrimps in it. And it was fine. Good luck!

toughguy80

Originally Posted by HowieUMD
I don't really have a filter. I have a 120 gallon sump/fuge in the basement below where everything is getting filtered. My skimmer should be big enough, it's the AquaC EV 240. One question. If I just had the 240, would my bio-load just be based off the water in that? Since I have the 120 gallon sump/fuge, which really only is holding about 85-90 gallons, does that water help the bio-load, meaning I can actually factor my bio-load based off about 300 gallons? Just wondering. Thanks!
Yes that helps. While not being as effective as having a tank that equals the same gallons, I think a sump/refuge makes it very close and think you'd be safe to assume a tank bioload of 300G. Just remember the territorial factor though. A 7" fish might look small put in a big 240G but when it hits 12" it don't look to small. Factor that by 5-6 fish that have the potential to get that size and the tank starts to look smaller. I think your current set up is a good one for that sized tank, I think adding another large fish(such as the tusk) could cause troubles. Just my opinion though.

sw65galma

Originally Posted by HowieUMD
yes you can factor Bioload off of 300gallons, but not Size. YOu are going to have to factor in thier size full grown...
Also when you buy eqiptment, buy it based on 350 gallons...which is closer to your true water volume.