stocking suggestions for 50 gal hex

natep206

ok so in a few monthes im starting a 50 gal hex aggresive.
i want to get
1 sfe
1 fuzzy d' lion
1 some kind of puffer (help me out on that one)
1 Golden Semilarvatus Butterflyfish
1 arc eyed hawk fish
anything i cant do or should add or what?
thanks
nate

natep206

and could i add a flame angle to that. or would i have to take of the hawk? i will do that if i have to.
thanks
nate

nudilove

Hawaiian Blue Spot puffers would also be okay, the angel would be fine. Cant help with the hawk, sorry!

natep206

but would that be overstocked? like would i beable to have all of that or should i take out the hawk.
thanks
nate

ledzep fan

If I were you I would stay away from the butterfly. I would get a snowflake eel, A fuzzy dwrf lion, Blue spot puffer and a Flame angel, and one more fish like a grouper. That to me would be a perfect 50 gallon aggressive tank. JMO Just helping you out.
~The Zep

natep206

thanks zep! well first there is no grouper that could live over a couple o monthes in a 50 that heavily stocked. even a 50 gal period so im not going to get one atall. i love the butterflys and will problly stick with it.
thanks for your in put!
i have a question. would i be able to get a pair of butterflys? or completly over stocked if i did
if i did this would be my list
1 fuzzy dwarf puffer
1 sfe
1 flame angle
1 puffer (still havnt decided)
1 pair of golden butterflys
1 arceye hawk
how many do i have to take out?
thanks
nate

drewsta

Originally Posted by LedZep fan
If I were you I would stay away from the butterfly. I would get a snowflake eel, A fuzzy dwrf lion, Blue spot puffer and a Flame angel, and one more fish like a grouper. That to me would be a perfect 50 gallon aggressive tank. JMO Just helping you out.
~The Zep
Um please whatever you do don't put a grouper in a 50G tank....

nudilove

I'd skip the two butterfly, that would be too much with the SFE and his high bioload. I think it would be plenty with the other fish IMO.

natep206

well scince im not set on getting the puffer and dont have a species i want to death i think i will drop that. now is that a good list or do i still ahve to drop on of the butterflys.
so my list would be
1 fuzzy dwarf lion
1 sfe
1 arce eyed hawk
1flame angle
1 or 2 butterflys
help me out
thanks
nate

beavis4040

I think the SFE, lion, flame, 1 butterfly and a puffer (you gotta get a puff, they rock!) would be good. you could probably squeez in the hawk! This sounds like a nice mix to me, the only one i'd be iffy on is the hawk which I think is most expendable to you anyways so would say get rid of it first. you might be ok with it tho.

natep206

well im not sure still cause i really dont have a species of puffer that im dying to have. well i love the porcs but everyone knows i cant have one in a 50gal. or could i? so i would rather have 2 butterflys. and if i didnt have a puffer. i could get some inverts. wich would be awsome. like none reef safe stars that i cant have in my 55 reef.
so is this list good?
1 arce eye hawk
1 fuzzzy
1 sfe
1 flame angle
2 golden butterflys
thanks
nate

lion_crazz

I would forget the butterflies. You will not be able to keep the nitrates at 0 to keep the butterflies healthy and alive.
All of the other fish, especially the puffer/hawk, lion, and eel will be way too much of a bioload for the butterflies.
I would do:
fuzzy dwarf lion
SFE
blue spot toby puffer
flame angel
Even then, you are going to have nitrate issues if you do not keep up with water changes and get a good filtration system in there.