Stopping a slow leak?

J

jackie dh

My little reef tank has a slow leak near the bottom, my carpet was soaked before I noticed. :( Does any one have any ideas of how to get it stopped? I will have to completely tear down the tank to repair it from the inside and I would rather not do that if I can help it. I've tried stirring up the substrate to let the particles plug it and that worked for a while but it started leaking again before I could glue it from the outside and now I can't get it to work again.
Heck I'll duck tape if I have to!

flower

a Product called STOP LEAK, it comes in a can and you can spray the bottom of your tank even wet and it will seal it...so they claim. $19.99 just Google it. It looks like exactly what you need.

florida joe

IMO the best way to stop a leak in your LITTLE reef tank( depending on what you consider little) is buy a new tank

meowzer

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3269497

a Product called STOP LEAK, it comes in a can and you can spray the bottom of your tank even wet and it will seal it...so they claim. $19.99 just Google it. It looks like exactly what you need.
Never heard of it.....but I would worry all the time.....How little is it? IMO get a new one

flower

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3269620
IMO the best way to stop a leak in your LITTLE reef tank( depending on what you consider little) is buy a new tank

LOL..This person is talking duct tape. I doubt a new tank is in the works. Just Google "STOP LEAK" it comes in a spray can and dries into a thin coat of waterproof rubber.
Jackie: Just coat the bottom of the tank since sand particles worked for a while. This stuff should buy you some time. A new tank should purchased be in the near future. Good Luck.

acrylic51

http:///forum/post/3269620
+1....Even if Stop Leak did work for a quick fix pressure will find another weak spot and start there....IMHO just a false sense of temporary security!!!!!!!!!

ibanez

My question flower, is how do you spray it on the bottom of the tank without tearing the tank down, which is what the op didn't want to do. I would say it's time for an upgrade, and you might consider going bigger while you gotta do it.
I guess it isn't at the bottom, just near the bottom, so scratch that. I still wouldn't trust it.

flower

On another post you have a 120g…I don’t understand why drive yourself crazy trying to save a lost cause. Switch things over and call this little leaky tank a loss. A tiny leak a drop here and after a few moments another drop…it means it is about to go.
I thought you needed to buy some time, you already have an established tank you can use…scratching my head in unbelief. Why say you want to save it so bad you are willing to use duct tape???? You already have a solution.

J

jackie dh

I do have a 120, a 55 and a 45 but they are not set up for
my reef inhabitants. This is a 35 flat back hex (glass) Its one of the 45* corners
that's leaking. If I can get it stopped for long enough I can try to glue it from
the outside. I have other tanks that I can use if I have to tear this one down, but I hate to risk
losing any of my animals if I can help it. By the way, the duct tape comment was a joke.

florida joe

I don't not mean this as a joke. have a wet dry vacuum handy you can bet on the fact that if and when you get a total seam failure it will be in the middle of the night

acrylic51

Attempting to seal it from the outside again is a temporary fix, waiting for what Florida Joe said will happen unfortunately in the middle of the night or when your away at work.

J

jackie dh

I doubt that a tank this small would have a total seam failure, there's just not that much pressure.
I am going to move every thing into my 45 pentagon in the kitchen, it's near a patio door so it will get some natural sunlight and I can mount my light on it.
Should I acclimate my live rock or just put it in?

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/3269780
I don't not mean this as a joke. have a wet dry vacuum handy you can bet on the fact that if and when you get a total seam failure it will be in the middle of the night
Yeah; I've never seen a little leak that didn't turn into a major one. At one time I was breeding fish by the hundreds and had many, many tanks from various sources. I had plenty of leaks to deal with. Just finding the source can be a problem. The only way that ever worked for me was to re-seal the empty tank on the inside.

alumentum

If you haven't fixed it already and REALLY REALLY want to keep the tank then why don't you just drain it and reseal it?

Originally Posted by Alumentum
http:///forum/post/3272454
If you haven't fixed it already and REALLY REALLY want to keep the tank then why don't you just drain it and reseal it?
empty, drain, dry, strip out old silicone, clean with vinegar, let dry, resilicone, let dry for 48 hours and test. Its not fun, but I just did it to the 90 gallon corner tank i just had to have. You want to make sure that you clean it well so that the new silicone gets the best bond it can.
Evan