Stopping Return pump drain- Power outage

ryanhayes9

I have heard that to stop this, you can drill a hole in the return tube. But I am not sure where to drill the hole exactly. I have an L shaped tube that hangs on the lip of my tank that pushes the water back in the tank from the return pump. When the power goes out, it starts to syphon a lot of water down. I was wondering, where do I drill this hole? Is it in the plastic L part that hangs on the back lip of my tank? If so, do I drill it so its above the water when the pump is on? Wouldint that cause the water to come out that hole as well when the return is pumping?

btldreef

You drill the hole right below the water surface level so that when the power is on and water is pumping into your tank, it's pumping through that hole into your tank instead of all over your room. When the power gets turned off, it will stop sucking water once that hole is exposed to air, it basically breaks the syphon. Hope that makes sense, it's 2am and I'm exhausted by can't sleep.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3282271
You drill the hole right below the water surface level so that when the power is on and water is pumping into your tank, it's pumping through that hole into your tank instead of all over your room. When the power gets turned off, it will stop sucking water once that hole is exposed to air, it basically breaks the syphon. Hope that makes sense, it's 2am and I'm exhausted by can't sleep.
Agree