Stores vs. Online

who dey

Do you ever get the feeling that some people working at the fish stores have no clue. I always wish I had my computer with me when I am in the store to be able to get other opinions. What kind of luck do you have buying the online fish and corals?

T

thomas712

I was always skeptical about ordering online, but when I finally did it I was pleased. SWF is the best place I have ever ordered from, I try to make my orders spring to fall so live orders don't have to go through the tough Michigan winters we have here. The only problems I have had have been through the delivery services, Fed EX, UPS, USPS. Deliveries could arrive within a half hour of my home but still be on the truck for 8 hours, during winter thats not good. SWF does use heat packs, which have worked out very nice for the cold deliveries, and they are always packed exceptionally well.
Thomas

fishcake

ehehe I almost lost an Awesome Scott's wrasse because fed ex decided to bring my package last and the water in bag was like ice had to double my acclimation time to 4 hrs.

taz_12777

I just lost 3 clowns today from an online store(not SWF). The heat pack got wet and they got to cold. My LFS was not any better though their last shipment of clowns died also.

acekjd83

so corals are ok to buy online? some are awfully sensitive, and i would think the shipping would damage them...

moray345

had horrible experiences with usps they leave a note and say you can come pick it up tomorrow:nope: had to chase the postman up and down the neighborhood:mad:

aquaman

I just made my third order from SWF.com (here) today, and look forward to getting it next week. It should go without saying (since this is my 3rd order) that I am very happy with the quality and service of SWF.com.
:D

dvs

Im all for online purchase for the main reason that in most cases it can save you a lot of money. Plus you dont have to drive 30 minutes in below freezing weather with 6 inches of snow on the ground. However its also beneficial to build a good relationship with your LFS. Ive been to mine almost twice a week for the past month. They have been very knowledgable and very friendly. I even got a free mushroom from them. And its always nice to be able to pick out your purchases yourself so you can see exactly what youre getting. They may be a little on the expensive side but I know that if I have a question or a problem, theres someone there to help!
:)
Jen

knots

I like online for the quality, the prices and the guarantee they have. None of my lfs's have any guarantee at all. You walk out the door and thats it. Online stores backup what they sell. I have ordered twice online so far and everything did great.

gonefishn

:jumping:
It's nice to find these answers. I like the idea of being able to order from online, but I too like to visit my LFS. My kids enjoy the views.

blemmy_guy

Originally posted by Aquaman
I just made my third order from SWF.com (here) today, and look forward to getting it next week. It should go without saying (since this is my 3rd order) that I am very happy with the quality and service of SWF.com.

I have to say the same as Aquaman. Ive ordered about a dozen times from SWF.com and one time they e-mailed me and said they were out of the blood red shrimp i wanted, so i e-mailed them back and asked for something else, dont remember what now., and they said no problem. and in the mean time this is all takeing a few days longer than usual to get it shipped out. anyway when i got my order the red shrimp i had originall ordered had come in so they put it in the order plus what i had switched it for. so i e-mailed them and told them they had made a mistake and they said it wasnt a mistake, the gave it to me because they had taken too long to ship it out to me. I thought that was damn nice of them. So needless to say im pretty loyal to them. especially on my live goods orders. Also ive never lost a single fish or coral from them. i did have a yellow polyp that never opened and they replaced it on my next order. hope that helps. todd

aquaman

Originally posted by Aquaman

Just a quick update, I got my order today, and once again, I am very happy with the quality! SWF.com really does a fine job with its service.
:) :D
:joy: :yes:

unleashed

Im kinda leery about purchasing fish online.I like to see what im getting before i pay for it.but it realy is the shippers that creates the most fears.my son had received some tadpoles once came with some kit someone had purchased for him.the package stated live shipment deliver promptly well they put them in the mail box on a friday no notifying me what so ever I got them on mon ..all dead

aquaman

Originally posted by unleashed
Im kinda leery about purchasing fish online.I like to see what im getting before i pay for it.but it realy is the shippers that creates the most fears.my son had received some tadpoles once came with some kit someone had purchased for him.the package stated live shipment deliver promptly well they put them in the mail box on a friday no notifying me what so ever I got them on mon ..all dead

SWF.com uses FedEx, and e-mails you the tracking number so you can see where it is and when it will get to you. IMO they do a great job, and I look forward to my next order.

BTW here is a pic of the fish I got.

~sc~emt~

I wont buy online. I like my lfs, there is only one guy there and he is the owner, and of course we all know him very well. He knows ALOT, and I've always trusted his judgement and he's never told me wrong.

blemmy_guy

my lfs charges twice what swf.com does, its worth it for me to order from them, and they have a 6 day live guarentee, Ive never been disatisfied with an order from them, and ive ordered about 12 times from them. so basically swf.com is my lfs. todd:happyfish