Strange Conversation

jjboods

I just spoke with 2 local plastics companies. One quoted $115 for a 4x8 sheet of 3/8" cell cast. The other was $160. The one for $160 said to be careful of what brand of acrylic I get...that some doesn't glue/bond???? Has anyone ever heard of this??? So I called the other back and asked...he said that it all glues but there are different types of glue and to run a bead of silicon to be safe? I thought you didn't use silicon with acrylic? Anyone have an opinion or info on this?

gregzbobo

You can run a bead of silicone along the seams, but it absolutely will not add to structural integrity. It will only give you peace of mind knowing that no leaks will occur, as long as the acrylic is properly bonded. If it isn't, no amount of silicone will help.

sal t. nutz

Cell-Cast is the right kind of acrelic to make a tank. If it is not cell cast, he is right, it won't bond properly. You do not need the silicone.

jjboods

He said there was a different kind or quality cell cast too. There was another company that emailed me and also mentioned "imported" lower quality cell cast.

sal t. nutz

There is all different "grades" if you will. Some have UV coating, some are theoretically clearer. But as for bonding together, and Cell-cast is fine.

jjboods

I just spoke with the guy at my LFS who builds sumps and tanks...he also said that the US made cell cast is better quality also.