2 96W PC smartlights
1 65W PC blue actinic
= 257 watts
With this:
2 175W 55k MH
1 96W PC smartligh
1 65W PC blue actinic
= 511 watts
The wierd thing is that the new set up with the metal halides does not look have as bright as with just the 3 PC lights. The new set up has doubled the wattage. I know that the 55k MH lights are a little yellowish but that isn't the thing. I am talking about overall brightness, not color of the light. Whats up with this? It does not look to me like there is enough light now.
Thanks

The 55k M/H lights are not as bright as the 10k M/H lights. I put the 55k in my refugium and could not stand it so I replaced it with the 10k and it is a lot brighter!

Hey Colorado, u have any pics of your tank???
I am curious about your lighting.. is it in a hood directly on top of your tank or is it suspended above your tank??
I am wanting to build myself a custom hood, but my LFS told me u had to suspend them above an open tank because of the high temp change it would cause... But I thought I could build a custom hood that would have enough air flow that temp would not matter... any ideas?
---Enquiring Minds Want to Know?!?!

main view (the mirror has hinges and flips up to access lights) notice 2 fan grills on the side--top and bottom

Here is a pic of the fan on one side (1 of 4)

Inside view (fan M/H)

another inside view

notice the refugium (this pic was when it was the 55k bulb ) it is much brighter now with the 10k bulb

Very Nice Tank Colorado.... Hmm.. I think u just became my Role Model.. :)
And u said u were a Rocket Scientist.. cause I know that setup cost some money.. LOL
---Enquiring Minds Want to Know?!?!