Strawberry crab with eggs

barchtruong

My female Strawberry crab is so pregnant now.
I just bought a couple 3 weeks ago and they started doing their bizness in my tank right after the got in my tank.
She's been carrying tons of eggs for about 4 or 5 days now.
Don't know when the eggs hatch.
I am very excited, and very nervous cuz I am not sure If my 55 gal tank can hold all those baby crabs.

joojoo

Got pics? Strawberry crabs are the only crabs I have ever thought about keeping intentionally, they are pretty. Chances of any babies surviving are slim to none.

barchtruong

the only time I get to see the crabs is when the light is off (11:30pm)
so there's like no way I can take pix of them.
but I am 110% sure she is pregnant.
Why are there no chance of surviving for the babies??
I have a serious rockwork in the tank. 100lb of lr in a 55g. Lots of room to hide.

happyhourh

Once the eggs hatch, the larvae will be a free-swimming planktonic form for around two months. The larvae will have a specific, very small particle size diet that is rarely provided in the average aquarium. Thats why the chances of tons of little crabs roaming around is slim to none.

alphamandi

I love those little critters!!!!! I have been searching for over a year trying to buy some. Can't wait to find some.

joojoo

Originally Posted by happyhourh
Once the eggs hatch, the larvae will be a free-swimming planktonic form for around two months. The larvae will have a specific, very small particle size diet that is rarely provided in the average aquarium. Thats why the chances of tons of little crabs roaming around is slim to none.
I was gonna say that but wasn't sure if crabs were planktonic like shrimp.

barchtruong

oh no!!!!

that's sad!
oh well, I can't handle more than the 2 I have now anyway.
Just let it be.
Strawberry crabs are not active at all in the DT.
They hide all the time.
feeding at night is a challege also.
great info. Thanks