Stray Voltage Question

zik69

I test for stray voltage every two weeks and now and with all the equipment I get a reading of about 12-15v with the grounding probe out of the water. With the probe it's at 0v, so I should be fine, but I just want to make sure. It seems every piece of equipment adds between 1-2v. How much of a stray voltage is too much? Most of my equipment is new, but is this normal that everything adds a little voltage?

robertmathern

Thats good question. I dont have an answer but someone will. Now I am courios to find out myself. I think it would leave something in the water. But I dont know.

statto

All equipment will have a 'leakage' of a greater or lesser degree
Even tank lights can induce a voltage into the water
It doesnt really matter how much stray voltage is in your tank as long as it is reduced to zero when you fit a grounding probe.
Basically if you have a proper electrical breakdown then the probe will be able to get rid of the leathal current and trip your electricity out.
If you didnt have a probe then there is always the possibility that your tank would stay 'live' with a leathal current until you next put your hand in the water, then you would become part of the circuit to earth and you would recive the electrical shock.
Basically in a nutshell, if you have a probe fitted and your tank is at zero volts then you are fine
have you thought about fitting 2 probes? this is just a back up incase anything goes wrong with one of the probes.
(I have two probes in my tank)
Cheers
Statto
P.S. Im an electrical engineer

zik69

Originally Posted by Statto
http:///forum/post/2824011
All equipment will have a 'leakage' of a greater or lesser degree
Even tank lights can induce a voltage into the water
It doesnt really matter how much stray voltage is in your tank as long as it is reduced to zero when you fit a grounding probe.
Basically if you have a proper electrical breakdown then the probe will be able to get rid of the leathal current and trip your electricity out.
If you didnt have a probe then there is always the possibility that your tank would stay 'live' with a leathal current until you next put your hand in the water, then you would become part of the circuit to earth and you would recive the electrical shock.
Basically in a nutshell, if you have a probe fitted and your tank is at zero volts then you are fine
have you thought about fitting 2 probes? this is just a back up incase anything goes wrong with one of the probes.
(I have two probes in my tank)
Cheers
Statto
P.S. Im an electrical engineer
Thanks Statto, that helps a lot. 2nd probe isn't a bad idea, you can never be too careful.