Stray Voltage

C

chadster

I have noticed over the past few months that my Elegance Coral has days it seems to struggle to open. It gives the appearance that it is being attacked by something I cannot see. Water parameters are correct and so are the lighting and the amount of water flow. I stumbled onto an article about stray voltage after reading many. This particular article made a reference especially to the Elegance coral being susceptible to this problem. I have already ordered a grounding probe knowing I do have stray voltage. Just had no idea this might be affecting corals like it is. The thing I see that concerns me the most is part of the skeleton of my Elegance coral. Is this irreversible damage or does the coral have a chance of healing? Has anyone else had experience with stray voltage as a noticable problem to their corals? Thanks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Stray voltage happens because, obviously, we are using a lot of electrical equiptment in our tank setups, and thus, the animials in the tank can be affected by the "stray" eletricity that occurs.
I too have heard about this problem with some specimens. Let me see if I run across any info it and I'll post it.