Stray voltages

statto

Hello all,
Im new to all this (just waiting in for my 1st delivery of LR then gonna start to cycle my tank)
I have detected a stray voltage in my tank of 130V AC to earth (I live in England and our domestic supply is 240V AC) with very low current (otherwise I wouldnt be here to type this post!)
I have made a home-made grounding probe and now have ZERO V to earth
Ive tested my devices, each one giving out some sort of voltage, all adding up to 130V
My question is this,
Why do the tank devices give out stray voltages?
Cheers
Statto

stdreb27

SW is very conductive, if you stick a volt meter in any tank you'll get some voltage reading. Alot of people use a voltage probe but if it isn't plugged into a GFI plug it won't do any good. Think about birds. Birds land on charged lines all the time. But they aren't grounded so there isn't a problem. However if you grounded that bird out, he wouldn't make it. With a GFI when there is a serious surge in voltage in the water. It will shut off the system. And you won't be shocking your fish.

stdreb27

ground fault interupter. I don't know about UK building codes, but in the states, if you go into the kitchen or bathroom, you'll see plugs with buttons on it. That is what I'm talking about.

fcatch76

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2766498
ground fault interupter. I don't know about UK building codes, but in the states, if you go into the kitchen or bathroom, you'll see plugs with buttons on it. That is what I'm talking about.
Based on NFPA and Life Safety Codes, GFI's can be wired as a "line" protecting itself or "load" protecting whatever outlets are wired on that "load". Therefore, your bathroom might not have the actual GFI, but another bathroom/ or sink area may.
Go to a local hardware store and buy one, when you turn off the breaker for that outlet (please do this), pull out the outlet, based on how many wires you have is how you install the GFI. Either US or UK a "line" install will have three wires and the "load" can have 5 or 6. Easiest way is "line" has least amount of wiring.
HTH

valeram

Speaking of GFCI, I changed my aquarium power outlet from the normal type to a GFCI type just last week. I did replace it after reading some threads and/or tips from this forum. It was a good thing that I did it because my PS pump output hose was disconnected to the main PS hose due to a loose clip early this week. What happened next (I assumed) was that it started spraying water outside the sump container and apparently shorted something. When I woke up early morning to check on my aquarium, I noticed that my whole setup got no power. For sure that the GFCI averted some nasty accident or worse. I have this aquarium for 9 years now (8.9 years of FWA and 1 mo of SWA) and I never thought about the GFCI power outlet. Somehow it didn't cross my mind that all wet areas should use a GFCI power outlet. From that incident alone, this site is a lifesaver, literally.