stress coat ?

u571

I just got done talking to my LFS and had asked about the dirty brown stuff in my tank and tap water. He said the dirty brown stuff was from running my lights to often and it will turn green or red after awhile. Is that true? Its just so dirty and hard to keep my tank clean. It is all over my dead white coral and on the ground. ANY ADVISE?????????????
Also i was asking about R/O. He said if i use tap water and then apply STRESS COAT it doesnt make a difference and the water will be fine,is that what alot of you do or hear?

karajay

Most members here would recommend using RO/DI water. IMO, tap water just won't cut it in a SW tank.
Also, the brown stuff you're referring to is probably diatoms. Quite common in new tanks. It should go away on it's own with good water quality and circulation. Use of tap water won't help this situation either.

beckzilla

Your LFS is on drugs. Stress Coat is only for putting a slime coating on a fishes scales. RO water is the only way to go and Stress coat will not negate all the negatives of tap water.

trigger78

I had the same brown stuff growing on my glass and rocks a while ago. The tank was about 4 months old and thought it was just natural for new tanks with algae spikes. I started using RO water from walmart and it has been a lot better every since. It's only 33 cents and well worth it!!!! The tank is much clearer and no more brown algae. Good luck and welcome to the board. -Alex