stringy brown algae?

N

nemo_66

i have had my reef for one year and six months, and then we had to move. a few of my corals died in the move, but thats it. its been set up now for about 2 months, and i got this stringy brown algae.its been here for about a month its on my rocks and glass. i did a water change today, but i decided to also post here. does anyone know what this could be, or how to get rid of it?
the tank is a 58 gallon, with a MH, on for about ten hours.
fish are two small clowns, a snowflake eel, a damsel, and a small niger(i know about the size, i got a tank prepared for it.)
im running a CSS 65, a seio 1500, and and mag 5 as a return for a 10 gallon sump.
i can get a pic later, since my computer is acting retarded and isnt fast right now.

N

nemo_66

theres the pic of the stuff. thanks in advance for all your help

cjworkman

How do you get your water?
my first guess is that somehow with the move there is now phosphate in the water

N

nemo_66

i use RO water.
the last time i got rid of this stuff in my previous tank when i first set it up was by removing all the rocks, rinsing them in a 5 gallon bucket, and then putting it back in. never saw it again, so im preparing to do that now.

brettd

There may be more phosphate in the water at your new location. A RO system alone will not remove much of the phosphate. You need a DI (Di-Ionizing) system along with the RO unit. This is the only way that I'm aware of to remove most of the phosphate.

N

nemo_66

ok. im going to go to the LFS this weekend and get a test kit for phosphates, and look around for a phosphate remover, and if i cant find one, then i'll go and look for a DI system

daysleeper

I have the same problem and I get my water from the grocery store which is "RO" water. I find myself cleaning the glass daily and when the stringy algae is removed, it clumps up easily. It has turned from brown to red at times. I am trying red slime algae remover right now to combat it. I have my protein skimmer off during this time. I have a 75 gallon tank with a 48" coralife double ballast. I light my tank about 10 hours a day. I have LR, a few fish, and an anemone in my tank. I thought the anemone was shooting out a "spider web" to help trap food, however this is not what is causing brown algae on the glass. I had recently noticed a thin film on the surface of my tank also. I think it is related to my brown algae issue. My LFS said to increase the flow in the tank. I had 2 marineland 660 powerheads, and am now using 2 powerheads that give me over 1200 gph flow. This has stunted the light surface algae. I think the red algae remover is working but time will tell. I might be overfeeding (I feed once every 2 days). I do water changes 20% every 7-10 days. I was about to create a fresh thread until I read your post with the same problem. I hope others can give us some advice about this. Anyone have ideas?