Strong enough for the sandbed?

A

alexmir

I am looking to get a crocea clam, or a squamosa. I have just purchased a lighting system for my 60 gallon. It is a corner bowfront, and is only 38 inches wide. The lighting system is 36 inches long, it has a 14000 150W Mh with 2x39w t5's. The tank is 20 " deep.
I know that the squamosa would need to be in the sand bed no matter what, but would these 2 clams do okay on the sand bed with that lighting? The lights are only 36" long, so the light is very compacted.

candycane

Croceas are burrowing clams in general based on several of their parts. They should be kept on a piece of live rock most of the time where they can burrow in to maintain a good health. Even if you were to get a Crocea to attach to a piece of live rock and move it down to the sand bed, it probably would not fair to well under 150 watts of lighting.

candycane

In my personal experience the majority of Croceas need very intense lighting, that does not mean it is the case with all of them however. Croceas can sometimes become stressed out if they do not have a place to burrow in, meaning a piece of live rock to attach to. But with that lighting, it is mainly about chance just because the depth of the tank is so shallow (meaning it may or may not survive under that amount of light).

A

alexmir

Im sorry, but i dont really understand what you mean....Its a chance because its so shallow? wouldnt that mean that it had a better chance to survive because more light would reach the clam?
Anyone else have any experience with a similar situation?

candycane

It means that it either will make it or it won't. But the fact is that it still stands probably a 50/50 chance. It's all about the crocea. I have seen some that 1000 watts wasn't intense enough for while I have seen others where 150 watts was fine for them.

A

alexmir

I know that certain clams will of course require slightly different lighting and care than a clam that is the exact same species. But that big of a variation would probablybe a sick clam, or other factors besided lighting killing the clam.(params, bio load, placement.)

wangotango

IMO Croceas should be up on the rock, Squamosas can be kept on the sandbed but remember that they get BIG.
-Justin

candycane

Originally Posted by alexmir
http:///forum/post/2624793
I know that certain clams will of course require slightly different lighting and care than a clam that is the exact same species. But that big of a variation would probablybe a sick clam, or other factors besided lighting killing the clam.(params, bio load, placement.)
That's the thing though, no. I breed the things too. I have for over 7 years and have been studying them for nearly 15 years. You could have two perfectly healthy croceas, from the same parents, that are the same size and the same color - one of them may survive at 150 watts while the other receives no where near the light that it needs. If you really want be to get into the ZTS (Zooxanthellae Tubular System) research of a clam, I could probably talk about part of it - but not for long. It's like plants and their vein systems sort of. While the clams may both be perfectly healthy, one MIGHT have a slightly larger Zooxanthellae Tubular System then the other. Meaning it might need more light to feed the Zooxanthellae inside the system regardless of how fast the Zooxanthellae can re-populate.
I would have to say that Squamosas are my favorite clams of all, these things do NOT have brains, but it seems like Squamosas might even be slightly more aggressive then the other clams as well. I have had two in my personal very special tank, that I have had for 3 years. Both of them went from about 1.3 inches to around 4-5 inches in that time span. They have been through several of water mishaps and still been fine. I just love those clams and at least I, MYSELF, have always had good luck with them.
Edit: Look at it this way. You know how some fish are rather difficult to keep, croceas are the same way. As are maximas, but not even in the same ball park as croceas as far as I know. If I were to buy a Crocea and put it in my tank, I might end up transfering it to 10 different tanks before I find a place it is happy, and even then it may still not be as hardy. Clams like Derasas, would most likely survive in a can of sprite, HAHA, just kidding - but they are REALLY hardy. Croceas are pretty much the complete opposite from what I have seen. My opinion may change as time goes on, but who knows.

A

alexmir

Do you think the difference has anything to do with the light that the clam receives when it made, and mabye the algea in the flesh grows and decides its structure depending on the light it receives form the moment it begins life?
May sound silly, buts its a thought?

Do you think that a squamosa or a deresa would do fine with the above description of the tank and lights?

candycane

Originally Posted by alexmir
http:///forum/post/2625143
Do you think the difference has anything to do with the light that the clam receives when it made, and mabye the algea in the flesh grows and decides its structure depending on the light it receives form the moment it begins life?
May sound silly, buts its a thought?

Do you think that a squamosa or a deresa would do fine with the above description of the tank and lights?
Two clams could have the exact same parents, food, and raising conditions and be put right next to each other with a reading from a light meter giving the exact same numbers, and one will still most likely turn out larger then the other. They are just different and form differently sometimes. There usually is nothing that plays a role in that.
I have kept Squamosas under T-5s; in the long run I guess what I was trying to say is that a Crocea is about 50% that it would survive under 150 watts a Squamosa is probably closer to 80-85%. Derasas are even less light intensive.

gatorwpb

i would trust candycane's opinion.
his clams are beautiful!!
i have a blue and green maxima in my 65 which is 24" deep under 2x150w. The green one moved itself to a spot that doesnt get as direct light as the blue maxima. but both seem very happy.

candycane

Thanks.
Even Maximas as mentioned above are probably still around 75% when it comes to survival under the lower wattage of halide lighting (150 watt+).

harris28

I have the Tx5 over a 75 gallon and my crocea is on a rock int the sand. Completely happy and growing!! I guess it depends on the clam but I would think you would be okay.

A

alexmir

I got a beautiful derasa with some really nice spots and green/blue coloring. The shell is about 2-3 inches long. I am looking to get a crocea soon also, and will keep it high in the tank!
pics to come!!!!!