strong enough lighting?

brewski4u1

i have ready thru this entire section and haven't found a very clear answer! so here it goes! I'm looking into getting a clam of some sort! i want one that not to big may be like 3 inches at the most and one that i can place on my sand bed i have a 30gallon tank w/ a 250w 14k MH and 2 96w Pc's so is it possible for me to have a clam on my sand bed and what type if so! also what am i looking for when i go to buy this said clam?
thank you for all and any help!

bang guy

Crocea are the smallest at a max of about 6". Maxima are a bit hardier but can get 10 - 12". Neither are easy so keep your water quality high as far as Phosphate, Alkalinity and Calcium.

candycane

You could probably keep any clam on the planet alive under those lighting conditions. Just watch your params like Bang said. The only thing you have to be worried about is transfering. You MIGHT want to keep an eye on the clam for the first few days for signs of light shock (bleach spots, tan spots, rolling onto it's side, etc) and if it starts getting all cheesed off, try to isolate it to an area with maybe a piece of mesh screening over the top of the tank.

brewski4u1

as far as water conditions my tanks is almost perfect unless i decide to feed the fish a ton of food or get a little lazy on the water changes! i usually do about 5 to 10 gallons a week, i have alot of coral and that seems to be the only way to keep all my parameters in check w/ out supplementing calcium or mag and what nots! so once again thank you all for all the help but now i have another question.
what do i look for as far as a healthy clam in the LFS?? and use said to watch for light shock. if it does get light shock could i move it to area w/ a shadow from the corals/LR and slowly move it out to the open?

candycane

You don't want to move it to a completely shadowed area. It's kind of hard to explain. Basically don't toss the thing under a rock. Most hardware stores carry nylon screening that shouldn't rust at all. I have even built a tower out of two pieces of PVC piping and made like a little "umbrella" for the clam only made out of screen.
When it comes to any clams, usually the BEST way is to wave your hand over the clam above the water and see if it closes. This shows numerous things including that it's system is carrying nutrients to the rest of it's body properly. You also want to check for gapeing. The incurrent siphon, the one that looks like a slit on the front and not the little outcurrent one that sticks out on top, should in most cases almost be touching or within an 1/8th of an inch. If it is gapeing, you could ask the someone if the clams are new to the tank. They will sometimes gape if they are acclimating.
If you want to get all technical, ask to see the byssal of the clam. Look under the clam to see if there are bits of rubble or rock attached to the bottom. If there are, then that means that it still has a healthy byssal organ about 99% of the time. DONT go trying to pull that junk off either. Then look around the opening of the shell and where fore-mentioned said foot or byssal would be for LITTLE TINY snails. They will be about the size of a grain of sand, but have long cone shaped shells. These are known as pyramid snails and are bad for the clam (you can research or do a search on this board for pictures of them)

bang guy

Good post.
Another way to acclimate to light is to simply raise the light a couple of feet and then slowly bring it down over the course of a month. Obviously this isn't often possible but if you can do it then it will work.

brewski4u1

alright all thank you for the very useful info ill be heading out to the LFS tonight to get that rest of the supplies to get my frag tank going and i will take a look at the clams they have and start getting used to what you said to look for! if i have any questions i'll take a pic and post it here and somehow describe it and or circle what i'm talking about!