Strong Powerheads????????????????

paul monroy

hey, I just got two Maxi jet powerheads.Each have 160gph, so I have 320gph running in my 29 gal tank. I read that the ideal current in a tank should be galx5=gph, so that would mean I only need 145gph, is this ture? Do I need to tank one out? What will happen if I have too much current?
P.S I set the powerheads the right way.Both pointing to the front glass at an angle, one on the high left side for the surface, the other in the middle right side.

botp2k1

Do not rely on 10x or any other rate, let your tank inhabitants tell you what is right. It is hard to estimate a flow rate inside a tank when it depends on what you keep; each creature has a different preference of flow rate. You may have PH that seems too high in flow rate but in a different location or angle and that PH works beautifully.

ebeckels

i agree with the above...see how the creatures in the tank like the flow... If they eno
it...u'll know.
-Eric

q

It really isn't all that much. If you are worried about blasting something them bounce the water stream off of some rock work. I have heard these recommendations. 3-5 for shrooms.5-7 LPS. 7-10 SPS.
Take it for what it's worth. It is only a loose reccomendation and shouldn't be used be counted for more.
[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: Plato ]

Ive got 2 Maxi 900 placed on each end of tank 1 high blowing against LR and 1 low again pointed at LR and 1 max-1200 on the back center of tank and with a bow front it started to swirl my sand around too much so now I just use the 1200 to clean off my LR every other week and let the HOT Mag polish it off.