Strontium and Magnesium

tiffster

hi guys. I was just wondering how many of you dose strontium and magnesium? Depending on what you guys post, I am going to order test kits for them and the additives too. Don't wanna waste my $$$.
Thanks,
Tiffany

attml

I use Kent Essential Elements which has Strontium in it. I also occasionally (once every 3-4 weeks) will also add some Kent Strontium & Molybdenum. If you are doing your water changes then you will get all of the magnesium you need from your salt.

T

thomas712

I think you will want to talk to Kipass on these additives.
I personally used Epsom salts for magnesium, but have gone to a more frequent water change to keep levels where I want them. I also have used B-Ionic for cal and alk,which contains a certain amount of mag. But will soon be dosing Kalk during the evening. I think that your water change will be good to keep these levels in check. If you do purchase these additives then by all means have the test kit to measure them. Strontium can be tricky to test for.
Thomas

tiffster

yeah, definitly not dosing without testing! Learned that with the iodine too. (It sits in the closet now.) Well, how does a 5 gal. water change every other week sound (in a 55)? I want to devote this tank to corals and just a few fish. You have to have proper levels of magnesium for tha inhabs. to use calcium right? So if my calcium is being depleted and the corals are growing, then I'm okay. I've gotta go read some more........
Thomas712- thanks for the input on my fish yesterday, sadly he is gone. I'm not happy about it, but I'm glad he was tank raised and not wild caught. That would have been bad.
I am going to give kalk a try in the 55 before I put anything else in there. What size is your tank and how are you planning on doing it?
Thanks,
tiff

T

thomas712

tiffster - I have bought a 128 ounce jug, drilled a whole a couple of inches from the bottom, siliconed some airline tubing in it and it is curing as we speak. I will attach a air valve on it that I have found works great for dripping liquid, just adjust the air valve nozzle to slow the drip to where you want it. I will start using it in a couple of days dripping overnight on my 90 gallon. I will go as suggested by mixing my kalk with 1 teaspoon in a gallon of water, drip, test and see where my levels are at, and see if I need to go up to 2 teaspoons. Gotta drip it slow with an alkalinity that high.
Thomas

tiffster

Thanks guys, I will order the test kits in the next couple of weeks and probably go ahead and get the additives too they aren't that expensive. I'm going to go with salifert test kits and additives. If you know of better additives let me know. I want the best.
Thomas, where did you get your air valve from? I made a dripper for my frogs the same way and the dang thing rusted. I have a feeling that wouldn't be good for the reef!
Okay, gotta go to work. Thanks again
Tiffany

T

thomas712

Made of all plastic, can't remember the name, left over from the fresh water days many, many moons ago. I think it was a whisper air valve? You can get them with one, two or even three outlets, connect together in a daisy chain like fashon. I have still seen them on the market, if it is a must I could probably locate a few.
Thomas

tiffster

We have some plastic ones at work made by Hagen. Thanks for the offer though, I'll let you know what happens!
Tiff