Studies on blue hippos

murph

If you have had one you know how prone they are to parasitic infection especially as juveniles.
Personally I am starting to wonder if an across the board diagnosis of common marine ich should apply to this species. Also wondering if there has ever been any studies in regards to this species and parasites. I.E. possible internal parasite that can manifest itself in skin condition reminiscent of marine ich or external parasites similar to marine ich that do not respond well to common treatments in the hobby.
IMO there seems to be a missing part of the puzzle when it comes to this species and parasitic infection.
Another odd thing about this species is I have seen established specimens go through what appears to be cycle after cycle of infection and recovery with out killing the fish. One resident LFS hippo I know of as been going through this process for over a year.

saltn00b

are you saying that hippos dont get ich, but its really something internal that looks like ich? are you basing this on anything? why is that other fish can then get it from them ?
i think its a rather a simple explanation. fish evolved to live in the ocean. they naturally are all different, and hence have different immune systems. when put in an UNNATURAL closed system, where parasites can multiply and have constant access to the same fish, its only a matter of time till you find a species like the blue hippo that doesnt do as well as the top of the bell curve. no magic, no conspiracy, just facts and numbers.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
These fish have smaller then average scales, and that is why they are "prone" to ich. Scales act as a buffer protecting fish. If the scales are delicate and small, then the fish has less of that buffer between it and parasites that need to attach to the fish's external tissues.
Unfortunately, in captivity, these fish additionally require additional husbandry considerations to be kept health, which is mostly not addressed by most hobbyists. This adds to the stress of this, making in more vulnerable when its exposed to parasites.

bellanavis

Just to add to this post, I have treated my fish with hypo twicw now, and my Dori (hippo), just keeps getting ich, no matter what I do, I don't know what to do for her, she looks so bad.

murph

good info beth; would also be interested in what qualifies as additional husbandry for this fish. dietary needs? Pristine water quality?
I am able to maintain nitrates, phosphates etc at zero in my system. My corals thrive. I would assume this would be good enough for this fish also as long as dietary needs are met properly.
One thing I am quite sure of with this species is you definitely want a strong specimen at the get go. Pick of the litter seems to be a must. The runts don't stand a chance. This is probably true of captivity and the wild alike.

deepcdv

Our little hippo responded well to soaking its food in Kent's garlic xtreme before feeding. I assume that garlic boosts their immune systems?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by deepcdv
Our little hippo responded well to soaking its food in Kent's garlic xtreme before feeding. I assume that garlic boosts their immune systems?
Fresh garlic boosts their immune system. Hippos are not a terribly difficult fish, but they do require a spacious tank that is at least 6 feet long. They require plenty of rock that is mature so they can graze whenever they want, and they most certainly have to be quarantined. These criteria should be provided before you get a hippo. Too many people see how small they are at the store and think that they can live in a smaller tank until they get larger. These are open water swimmers. Their immune system declines because of stress. They have to have plenty of room, even when they are small. As with any animal, they are more active as juveniles. Would you keep a hyper terrier dog in a tiny cage even if he only stood 8" tall? He would go nuts! All aquarists shoould look at the tank requirements of a fish as an adult prior to purchase. Please do not buy a fish pending the "possibility" of a future upgrade.