Stuff that’s been growing on my sand bed and rocks

jacklinks

Hey guys so I’m a beginner and recently finished cycling my first tank which is a 10g (ik it’s kinda small but is all I could afford I’m only 16) anyways a week after my tank was all done and cycled I put in 2 juvenile occ clowns and they’ve been doing good. then a week or two after that I noticed that I was getting brown spots all over my rocks which I thought were diatoms but then a few days later they turned into some stringy brown stuff. Also I’ve been seeing green algae grow in my glass and some spots of green algae growing in the back of some of my rocks pls help id

Attachments

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
When you do your next water change, Clean your filter media, siphon off what you can. Then clean filter again. Adding a couple turbo snails and blue leg Hermit crabs will help.

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
You're going to want to keep up with changing the purigen. Once at it's potential capacity you can experience some nutrient bleed back.

jacklinks

I’ve only had the purigen for about 2.5 weeks or somewhere near that and the matrix for like 2-3 months. How often should I clean/change the Purigen? Do I rinse the matrix too?

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
The purigen is good for 2-6 weeks depending on nutrient input. I understand that you can regenerate it like carbon, but I don't know how well that actually works..

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Media like that doesn't actually get rid of the nutrients, it just traps it. Once that capacity is reached it's best to change it out imo.

jacklinks

Also how about the green spots on the rocks what’s that? It doesn’t look like it comes off. they’re like blueish-green in color

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I just run carbon for a few days after water changes to polish the water and pick up anything that may have been stirred up during the maintenance. Has worked out great for me. Going on 25 years in the hobby. :)