Stupid baffle

caz2022

So I heard a crack under my tank last night. The baffle between my refugium and return pump cracked right down the middle! Short of draining my 'fuge and losing what ever critters I have growing in there-how can I fix this? Could I possibly sink a 5 gal tank in the return pump section to put the pump in? That way the pump wouuld have its own section again.

beaslbob

Sorry to hear.
and yes you can use the container in a container idea to serve the same function as baffles.
my .02

S

saxman

you can remove the existing baffle and go with a "pressure-fit" baffle that uses EPDM weather stripping to form the seal between the baffle and the tank. you cut the baffle a bit smaller (determined by the thickness of the EPDM) and stick the weather stripping to the edges and bottom of the baffle, then slide it in place.
do a search on PRESSURE-LOCKING SUMP BAFFLES, JOSHUA MC MILLEN for a nice article on them.
i use these on our 60 gal scorp setup and they work great. they're nice if you ever want to re-configure your sump too.

caz2022

It was a glass baffle, I had about 1/32 spacing before siliconing into place. The thinkness of the baffle is the same as a ten gallon tank (I used an end pc from a leaky tank. The sump itself is a 55 gal tank. Il definitly look for the pressure fit baffles-wish I had know about them before I made this one.