Stupid Ich question

I have a very stupid question regarding Ich. I am not that familiar with Ich on fish, but from what I have read they are small spots on the fish.
My stupid question is this: Has anyone ever confused the bubbles that come out of a low sump for Ich? My sump ran low when I was at work yesterday. After I filled the sump level back , I noticed many small spots which looked like they could be air bubbles on my coral beauty. At first I kinda freaked out thinking that he may have Ich
. After thinking about it for a while I determined that it may infact just be small bubbles that were still floating around in the water column.
I checked back again this morning and there were still some spots on the fish but less than lastnight.
Am I safe to assume that it was just the bubbles and not Ich? Would Ich have gotten worse overnight and not a little better?
Also is it easy to confuse Ich with small bubbles or does Ich look more like a solid on the body of a fish? I have read it looks like little salt being spread on the fish...
Has anyone ever had a similar situation to this??
Sorry for all the questions....

mr. limpid

ick will change in quantity on the fish with there life cycle. So yes ick can be a few spots at one time then be many spots. Look for other signs scratching and heavy breathing. From your description it sounds like ick. Best to quarantine and hypo better safe than sorry.

Can you see Ich floating around in the water column? I can see alot of small specs that look like tiny bubbles floating around in the water. Could this be Ich?
I'm not sure if you can see the Ich in H20 or not....

trillyen

what if pulling the fish out of the display tank is not an option
dont they make kick-ick
i herd that works with inverts and every thing
im not sure what my clown trigger has on its fins, they look like white spots
if it was ick wouldnt it be on the body??? and not just the dorsal fin???
is there any other way to treat ick if the fish cant be qted!!!

mcbdz

Not if you have inverts. Look on the disease forum at some pics or post pics, but it sounds like ick. Best to stop trying other ways and just go with what has proven to work before your fish get weaker and they have a harder time of it, or die. qt with hypo or copper meds, but hypo I think is safer. Good luck.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by trillyen
dont they make kick-ick
Your inverts will not be able to handle the treatment, that's why it's important to pull your fish out and treat them in a QT, be it Hypo or meds, and then leave your DT fishless for 6 weeks. And yes, you can have ich on the fins and not the body, but if you let it go to long and it will be all over and stressing the fish out completely. A lot of times ich can even be in the gills and you won't even see it, which is how ich makes it into DT all the time. People don't "see" it so they don't think the fish has it. I just assume all incoming fish have the parasite and QT for at least three weeks, but now I'm going ahead and Hypoing all new fish, just for good measure (especially Tangs).

twogirls

dont they make kick-ick

we just went throught this. we didn't have a qt set up and ready so what we did was used an extra 10 gallon that we had lying around and went and bought a hob filter ($18.00). It's sitting on my kitchen counter until we can put her back in the main tank. And then we will dump that and put it back in the garage and if we need it again, we'll just set it back up.

wigle36

I lost alot to Ick...I used Kick Ick it worked but it took along time. I also took my fish that lived and put it in another tank. Between no fish in the tank and the Kick Ick I finally got the ick gone. The best thing is to quarintine your fish.

trillyen

i agree you should qt your fish but my fish are already in there and i would have to take alll the rock out and alot of stuff and it is a clown trig so im notgonna have any invertsin there just a cleaner shrimp and im scared that it may hurt the cleaner shrimp thats the only reason why i said a qt and removing the fish is not an option
but it looks like what ever it is is going away, im not sure if it is ick or not but it looks very minor what ever it is
what im gonna do is soak all its food in garlic and go by some ick pervenitive food tomorrow from the fish store and hope that it works
i just dont wanna stress the fish out by removing it because it is a baby clown trig and you know how prone they are to dieing at a young age
this is the longest ive kept 1 alive so what ever im doing im doing it right
i think it started out good cause when they caught him at the fish store they didnt net him they scooped him up with a bowl, so that saved his slime coat alot!!!!

sepulatian

dont they make kick-ick
Ich starts and is first noticable on the fins. You cannot treat ich in the same tank with inverts beause ich IS an invert. Please post this in Disease and Treatment and we will be happy to walk you through the treatment.

sepulatian

but it looks like what ever it is is going away, im not sure if it is ick or not but it looks very minor what ever it is
That is the natural lifecycle of the parasite. Some have dropped off to reproduce in large numbers. Set up your qt now. You are going to see an explosion in ich numbers in a week.