Stupid Question

jeanheckle

OK I make my own food and prior to feeding soak it in tank water with zoe and zoecon then pour back into tank, do other people strain the tank water out before putting the food in the tank and if so what is the benefit?

bang guy

I soak in fresh water and strain. The water strained out can be loaded with excess nutrients. If I were to use Selcon I would add it while making the food.

jeanheckle

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2848460
I soak in fresh water and strain. The water strained out can be loaded with excess nutrients. If I were to use Selcon I would add it while making the food.
In the fresh batch I just made I did add the zoe and zoecon, how do you go about soaking with garlic? Same way, just let the food sit in the garlic and then strain, and could not straining it cause higher nitrates?

subielover

I would think both nitrates and possibly phoshates would be elevated, but then again maybe Bang Guy will stop back in.
Hey Dori

bang guy

The only purpose I can see for Garlic is to enhance flavor to get picky fish to eat. None of my fish are picky so I see no reason to go through the trouble of adding it.

fish4rudy

I thought that carlic was 'good' for fish? I dont make my own food yet,as I only have three fish. I am interested in doing it, if a get a good recipe. Sorry if I hi-jacked your thread. Just interested....

M

markeo99

only fresh real fresh garlic has health benefits. the chemical is released within like 15 minutes

jeanheckle

Originally Posted by FISH4RUDY
http:///forum/post/2848964
I thought that carlic was 'good' for fish? I dont make my own food yet,as I only have three fish. I am interested in doing it, if a get a good recipe. Sorry if I hi-jacked your thread. Just interested....
No Hijack:
It's very simple and inexpensive, this time I used squid, mussels, flounder, krill, scallops, seaweed I put everything in a food processor and blend with Zoe and Zoecon. I then put in individual sandwich bags, flatten with a rolling pin and freeze.