Stupid suction cups!!!

9supratt4

Does anyone have any tips on better suction cups or another way of securing things, because the suction cups on my veggie clip and powerhead are horrible and don't stick anymore!! They are as hard as rocks now!!!

kevine6678

Suction cups get on my nerves too!!!!!
If you make sure the surface that you attach them to is clean and clear of all algae, usually they stick better. Still they usually don't work that great. They now have powerheads which use two powerful magnets to attach it to the glass the same way that a mag-float works. I have yet to buy one of these but it's on my list of equipment to pick up. It's a really good idea and I would think that it would work much better!

will boling water resoften them and i wonder if you could just supper glue a bar magnet to you power head and put another one on the outside of the tank anyone have any idea if you can put plane magnets into your tank with no covering

nordy

I wouldn't try putting a regular magnet into a tank-they are iron and will rust away. If you had one hanging around, you could try to superglue a MagFloat to your PH-the medium ones are pretty strong.
Your best bet may be to get some new suction cups, then clean the glass really, really, well and they should work pretty well for you.

scrombus2

most powerheads are magnetic drive motors, that is, the rotor of the pump is connected to a magnet that rotates inside a magnetic field generated by a coil of copper wire. That much I know....what I don't know is if this magnetic field will be affected in any way by placing another strong magnet(like the magnet in a MagFloat). Anyone have any input? Sorry for jacking this thread....I hate suction cups, too.

anonome

Ahhhhhhhh, the I hate my suction cups thread. I too dislike suction cups, this is why I switched to neodynimum magnets. You can get these at Kjmagnetics.com, or where I got mine from gaussboys.com. They come in different strengths. Very strong and if plasic coated will not rust. Mine have been on my powerheads almost a year, and am very pleased. Someone on here said they used a spray....plasi-dip from home depot to coat their magnets. Not sure if they are good, do a search on this site for more info.

T

tizzo

Walmart sells these white suction cups in their arts/ crafts section. I've used them for years and they are still holding strong. They are soft and easy to clean.
Like 2 bucks for 4 of them. They come with a metal hook, but that's easily removable.

mr_x

9supratt4- have you ever been to the hidden reef? they sell those algae clips there pretty cheap. i pick up a handfull of them every so often and just toss them when they get funky. btw- that's a decent store for drygoods.

suzanner9999

Originally Posted by Anonome
http:///forum/post/2712095
Ahhhhhhhh, the I hate my suction cups thread. I too dislike suction cups, this is why I switched to neodynimum magnets. You can get these at Kjmagnetics.com, or where I got mine from gaussboys.com. They come in different strengths. Very strong and if plasic coated will not rust. Mine have been on my powerheads almost a year, and am very pleased. Someone on here said they used a spray....plasi-dip from home depot to coat their magnets. Not sure if they are good, do a search on this site for more info.
Could you tell me what strength you ordered? I'm also getting rid of my suction cups
Thanks

anonome

Originally Posted by suzanner9999
http:///forum/post/2712502
Could you tell me what strength you ordered? I'm also getting rid of my suction cups
Thanks
Sorry for the delay.....I ordered the 20lb pull strength, model D1803E. (Epoxy coated ) You could possibly go with the one smaller and see if it holds. Be careful to hold onto the magnet on the outside real well, don't want it to slam into the glass. As long as you are careful with them they should do the trick. I love mine.....makes it easy to move the powerhead too if needed.

mjweber

Hi,
I know they make these suction cup replacements which are magnets. One magnet goes on the outside of your tank and the other one goes inside. You attach this U shaped clip (they give you a whole bunch of different sizes) to the magnet in yoru tank. I've been using them on my surface skimmer and they really hold well...much better than suction cups.