Subielover's Biocube 14 Diary

subielover

I have been testing myself, the results from two days ago are a few posts up. I will probably test again tomorrow or the next day, thanks for the comments

subielover

Ok I tested today again and these were my results:
PH-8.0
Nitrite-0.0
Nitrate-1.0
Alkalinity-4.5meq/L
Free Ammonia-.01
Total Ammonia-.10
Let me know what you guys think about my results, thanks.
Of course I had to post a few updated pics of my empty tank
In the 2nd pic, you can see what I believe is a 1" stromatella snail, ugliest thing ever, but everything I have read says that they are beneficial scavengers. I have seen at least 2 others but they are not even half the size of "The Hulk"

As always, comments good or bad are appreciated, as I am just a beginner and eager for any input

mrpurple

keep an eye on that snail i had found one in my tank, i was just siting there watching the tank and i saw a cloud of like dust being flung off my lr so i thought it was a pod of some sort then a few days later i saw it again but it kept doing it then i saw that little guy and he was the one doing it, he was spaying it out of his body so i took him out and put it in my qt just to be safe it looked like he was blowing smoke out of his mouth or somthing

mrpurple

but i have also read where they are beneficial thats why i left him in my dt for a while until i saw him doing that

blazin2k6

The dust coming from a snail is nothing. IT IS just probably dust from your lr that they are pushing through their body and then expelling it out. It is nothing bad. Wont hurt the tank at all. I have found those types of snails alot as hitchhikers and i loveit when i get em. Its like a free snail :) And if its an inch long thats even more cool cause it can clean even more. i have only seen them very small like size of a half dime. Well thanks for the comments on my thread. Also those star polyps look like they made it and are even growing :) looks wonderful. i Couldnt get star polyps to do anything in my aquapod. they died on me in a few months, :( Well take care and hope to see some new shots soon.

subielover

Thanks for the comments blazin, i think those snails are pretty cool too. So far for hitchikers on my lr I have found, 4 of the stromatella snails, the star polyps, the palythoa, a 1" fireworm(not sure on this), and a dime sized white bristle star. As well as some pods of all sizes, and a lot of what I think are bristle worms, they are white and come out of the rock, they are very small but a little creepy
Really enjoying having the tank as I knew I would. I will again check my params tomorrow, been trying to do it every three days to keep an eye on whats going on. Seems to be a lot of life in the rock, I am glad, because I thought I would be bored just staring at the rock, but there is plenty to look at!

iyachtuxivm

If you have ammonia you are probaly cycling. Have you checked your nitrites again yet. I would bet you have a small amount. Looks good so far

subielover

Ok fellow reefers let me know what you think, previous results were posted above.
PH-8.1
Nitrites-0.00
Nitrates-.10
Alkalinity-4.5meq/L
Free Ammonia-0.00
Total Ammonia-0.27
Still have some ammonia and just a little nitrates, any thoughts?

FTS

Oh snap I have a 2nd page

blazin2k6

cool, its looking good. yeah the bristleworms are creepy looking but very beneficial creatures. I have some that are almost a foot long look like in my aquapod and they only eat leftover food. I tried to snatch the biggest one out the other day with some tweezers but it pulled its head back like a COBRA SNAKE and opened its mouth on me, SO AFTER THAT I left em alone.LOL. Scared me like crazy. And plus i havent lost anything due to them so i just leave em alone and let them eat the leftover foods. which is good to keep water levels good :) But yeah there is all kinds of life on the LR.

allen7_7

So have you thought of adding more sand? it looks like you don't really have a lot right now..Looks like you are getting close to being able to put live stock in? have a stock list yet?

subielover

I dont think I will add anymore sand, I like the way it looks and don't want to deal with a dsb.

I was thinking along the lines of two clowns to begin, followed in a few months with a sixline wrasse
Also would like a fire shrimp and a pom pom crab
I am just a little excited

subielover

A few things, all suspension related. Also have had a 05 STI, 06 Tribeca, and now my favorite 2001 RS coupe.

krak256

did you do any water changes while your tank was cycling? i think is started my tank a few days before you did and im still having high nitrates. did you go through an algae bloom yet?

subielover

I have not done any water changes as of yet, wanted to wait until the cycle was over. I have some algae on some of the rocks and on the sand, but I want to get a cuc in about 2 weeks and I think they should take care of it for me.

subielover

OK so the fuge is complete, I removed the false floor in chamber 2, added some lr rubble and a wad of chaeto. I scraped the black off of the outside wall of chamber 2, to allow light to pass in. I put velcro on a 9 watt light that is now hanging on the back, allowing the chaeto to get light
Hopefully this works and will help with keeping the nitrates down. Also I will be "seeding" the chaeto with pods.