substrate in fish only tank?

drewster

I'm in the process of setting up my old 55 gallon tank and i'm going to make it into a fish only tank. Here is my question, is it necessary to put substrate into the tank for a fish only tank? Does it help the fish in some way besides oxygenination? I already have a decent amount of substrate in a 5 gallon bucket just waiting to go somewhere. I just don't want to have to worry about the substrate turning all nasty in a month or two when algae takes over. Also, I have about 30 lbs of live rock that I could put in the tank. Is this also necessary or can i forgo the rock. I eventually just want to put a clown trigger, dwarf lionfish, and maybe a puffer into this tank. Please let me know what you would recommend. Thanks

mr . salty

It's not necisary,but it is advised.The same with live rock,not needed,but it's good for bio filteration. The substrate and live rock both make a home for nitrafying bacteria. Which you know is needed for the bio system of any tank. I would personally say YES you need it.

angelfish

Will your substrate cover at least the entire bottom of the tank? Are you using an UGF? If using UGF then at least 3 inches on the bottom. It really depends on you and what kind of substrate and filter will you be using. Usually crush coral is used to help buffer the water and this keeps the pH constant. Hope this helps
Angel

drewster

The tank is pretty much set up except for the live rock. I have a mixture of crushed coral and fiji live sand for my bed right now. It's only about 3/4 inch deep. So obviously i'm not gonna have a deep bed. I have no plans for a UGF either. I will most likely put the live rock into the tank because i don't want to throw it away and I realize it does help fitration. Do you guys see a problem with me getting a clown trigger, dwarf lionfish, and something else? What could that something else be that would be compatible with these two guys? Thanks for the input so far. Lemme know if you require anymore info from me.

youbetyourwrasse

If we want the fish to be as happy (and healthy) we will give them a tank that duplicates the ocean we took them from to the best of our ability. If I could fit a tank the size of the Ocean in my house I would!
IMO, many fishes enjoy the substrate. My lunar wrasse rests on it and glances his body off it, no doubt displaying a food seeking behavior employed in the wild. My Picasso blows water at it, causing a small eruption, then searches for food. My damsel digs holes under the LR, one pebble at a time. Not only does it provide living quarters for a plethora or LR and LS critters, but a deep, undisturbed substrate can develope anaerobic conditions deep within, allowing nitrAte consuming bacteria to flourish.
While it may seem easier to clean a substrate-less tank, vigorous "ocean-like" conditions (via powerhead) will prevent debris from settling on the bottom.
Well that's what I think.
YBYW.