substrate

atlantic

anybody heard of not using substrate in the display tank? i was told by my lfs that for a fowlr system substrate is not needed. all you would need to do is fill a 5-10 galon bucket(depending on the size of aquarium), 2-3 inches from the top with unused aragonite and have a fast moving current of water flowing over it. the overflowing water goes back into the sump and all the harmful nitrates are held the aragonite. supposed to be a good ph buffer 2. anythoughts? is this a good idea?

seasalt101

if you have lr it will work just fine i just went to ls i did not like the crud on the bottom of the tank but i had a bare bottom (w/lr) for 6 months no problems :happyfish

seasalt101

add alot of lr you know glass bottoms don't exist in nature but whatever you do don't use crushed coral jmo use pictures to look at find something like and try to mimic it good luck

monalisa

I've heard of people filling in the spaces with live rock rubble...kind of pricey, but doable, I guess.
Lisa :happyfish

sepulatian

Why is it that you want no substrate? As stated before glass bottoms are not found in nature. BTW, not to discredit your LFS, but I have read SO MANY posts where lfs's have steered people very wrong. Please explain why you think no substrate would work for you. You will be missing out on alot of beneficial things, but I am curious why the lfs said to go without one.

atlantic

he told me that in a fowlr system substrate traps nitrate and their for causes nitrate levels to spike. no substrate helps eiminate the nitrate problem. plus, my lfs, told me it acts as a good ph buffer. i myself would prefer substrate. it is more natural for the fish and that is what i want. the lfs just suggested it to me. i figured i would check all possible options before i made my decision.

seasalt101

go with ls then, i am so much more pleased with my dt since swapping the bbt to ls if i had a digital camera (next week i am gettin 1 ) i could show you how natural it looks i am very pleased with the way my tank looks now