Substrate?

dolphena

Im planning on setting up a FO tank and I was wondering what kind of substrate to use. I would appreciate your opinion, thanks.:)

reef fool

I would use sand or Live Sand. Crushed coral will become a nitrate bed and will have to be cleaned regularly.

michaeltx

i agree with reef fool sand is better than cc. gor for about 4-6 inches of sand in the tankand in the long run you will thank yourself.
Mike

overanalyzer

I'd go with sand but if you are going to truly have a FO tank then I'd just set up a shallow sand bed (unless you are planning on the substrate providing a high level of filtration) .....
IF you have a lot of other filtration then the substrate will be a finishing touch and not an integral part of the tank. If you are planning on eventually moving it to a reef tank or think you might want one day do a reef then I'd start with a deep sand bed - 4-6" or so ....
HTH

overanalyzer

Dolphena - first welcome to the board (just noticed you were new)
If you lkay down your deep sand bend then you can use some cheaper base rock (I use Hawaiian Island Rock) and then add live rock and some live sand and the HI rock will eventualy become live!