Such thing as too much flow?

keltic

I currently have a 55G FOWLR setup, but I am interested in moving to inverts and corals. My question is, can there be too much water turnover. I am in the process of building my W/D sump and plumbingit along with a 20H G Refugium. According to my calculations, I will be turning over the water approx. 18-20x an hour. Is this too much for the tank or the W/D for that matter. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
keltic
captnemo@iname.com

sammystingray

If the sand will stay put, and the fish have a few slow spots to relax, and keep in mind that you can put a pump on a timer to slow flow at night, then I belive you will be VERY happy with the results a high flow gives. The only way you can have too much is if the fish can't "sleep", or you are beding corals over to one side and/or corals can't open all the way. Keep in mind that corals with long polyps generally come from slow water flow areas, and short polyp corals come from high flow for the most part (always exceptions of course). I turn over my water 30 times per hour, and have no problems with having slow flow areas for fish and shrooms and long polyp corals do fine. Slow flow is MUCH more a worry.

keltic

This is why I like this forum so much. "Instant" answers.
I had thought of having two pumps, one timed, so this sounds great to me.
Thanks

sammystingray

Never put a low quality pump on a timer.....hint hint RIO....half the time they won't restart. Matter of fact..never use a RIO for anything important or for purposes of stop and go for a wave making type deal.....buy high quality, and you'll actually end up saving money in the long run....same goes for a lot of other things in life.:)

keltic

Is viaaqua any good as far as pumps go? I have heard of many people complaining about the Rio . I am on a tight budget so I can't really get the pumps that I want but I also don't want something that I will want to tie to the bumper of my car and drag around for a few miles either.
Tanks for the help

justchillin

never heard of viaaqua before so hopefully someone else can comment on that, but i definatly agree about staying away from rio's...i have been using maxi-jet's for the past 4-5 years with no problems...i don't have them on a timer though...
hth,
mike