sudden lion death

pfitz44

so my dwarf died suddenly on me friday morning. He wasnt eating like the normal pig that he usually does... waiting for the food at the top of the tank and stuff... but hed eat some, not a lot. I figgured it was the typical lion "hungar strike" for bad water. Tested, amm-0 trites-0 trates-30. (before death) sg 1.25. Any ideas?

titan

What tankmates? Diet? How long have you had the Lion? Water quality seems to be ok for a FOWLER, but wouldn't want trates to creep a whole lot higher.

unleashed

the higher trates would def be a cause of a hunger strike.they can be kinda touchy about that.how long have you had the fish what tank mates feeding schedule and type of foods

pfitz44

Sorry about that..
Tank mates include:
Flame Angel
2 oc. clowns
LMB
Bicolored dottyback
small Regal Tang
I have had the Lion for about 4-5 mts
Diet consits of live brine, frozen mysis, blood worms, and coctail shrimp, fed 2x day (not all at once)

unleashed

Originally Posted by PFitz44
Sorry about that..
Tank mates include:
Flame Angel
2 oc. clowns
LMB
Bicolored dottyback
small Regal Tang
I have had the Lion for about 4-5 mts
Diet consits of live brine, frozen mysis, blood worms, and coctail shrimp, fed 2x day (not all at once)
ok from what i am seeing this is a very typical reaction due to poor nutrition here . this diet listed is very limited in nutrients but also brine shrimp and blood worms are meant more so for fw fish and do not harbor enough nutrients to sustain sw species.unfortunatly even your other fish cannot survive on this diet for a lenghty amount of time. lions need much more of a variety of raw meaty foods .such as mysis(if he will eat then) krill, squid, fish(silver slides or fish portions or both) shrimp ,scallops. each food item a predator consumes has a different diet than the next predators receive other nutrient such as veggie and other important nutrients by the diet of its prey. even though your fish have been eating he was not getting the proper nutrients he needed for long term and eventually became too week to feed at all,ending in the results of death. I do hope you are adding other foods for your other fish by species requirements such as angle formulated frozen foods(these are the only foods that contain fresh variety of sea sponge nessesary in angel fish health) dried variety doest have enough . also your tang is an herbivore he requires alot of plant and algae based foods with small amouts of meaty for protien( too much of a protien based diet in the fish will esult in HLLE or eventually death. this also goes for you blenny. as for your dotty back and clowns they are omnivores they require equal amonts of meaty and veggie combined foods to sustain healthy nutrition for long lives. I do hope this help shed some light on the issue for you for present and future care of you fish.ther many variety of very nutritous foods available for your fishes health.I do also highly reccomend the addition of suppliments such as selcon and garlic extreme to all help boost all of your fishes immunities to help prevent and fight off potential paresites and disease.

pfitz44

garlic extreme is always added to any frozen food that i feed.
i am feeding formula 2 for the tang and other inhabs, as well as seaweed selects, and cyclopeeze, as well as flake/pellet foods. This is in addition to the brine, blood worms, and mysis.
I tryed feeding him squid, silver sides, and krill, but he would not eat them.
Is it possible for a fish to be blind? When i was looking hat him, his eyes were regularly cloudy. OFten, food would float by him, and he would not try to eat it. Is this typical?

unleashed

poor nutrition will cause cloudy eyes also. if he wasnt eating the proper foods.they end up being attacted by other illnesses that normally his body can fight off.what i have noticed about most fish that are fed brine shrimp regularly they fill up on this food and dont bother with what they need kinda like eating chips before dinner your already full so you dont eat the foods that are good for you.

v-lioness

I have to go with unleashed here about your lions diet, I also soak all of my lions foods in vitamins (selcon) every feeding. When my lions are young I feed small chunks daily but as they mature I feed every 2-3 days.
I have a dwarf that is a picky eater and will only eat raw shrimp, Frozen sand eels & silversides, everything else it spits out so I have to feed ghost shrimp so this lions gets the proper nutrition. Before I feed the ghost shrimp I feed them something nutritional first, this way when my dwarf eats them it will help provide the proper nutrition.
Sorry about your loss..............
Kaye