suggestion for filtration

angelamk

I have a 55 gallon. I've had it setup before, and after a recent move I would like upgrade everything. What are your suggestions for the perfect filtration setup? Sump vs. hangon, protein skimmer, etc. I would like a mini-reef system w/ a few fish for the final setup. Thanks!

a&m aggie 04'

i think the perfect filtration is lots of live rock (1.5-2 lbs per gallon), deep sand bed (4-6 inches), and good protein skimmer. A wet/dry would be the only other thing id consider having.
Right now i have a wet/dry on my tank, thats only b/c i slowly added rock until i had my tank full of rock.
Mark

vibe

emperor 400 seems to work well on 55 gallon tanks. plus LR, you will have a nice filtering tank. i have an emperor 280 on my 10 gallon nano in my room. they are quiet, powerful, efficient, and easy to set up and use. that my opinion though. e-mail or im me at vibe15@aol.com. i know a place were you can get a good deal on all kinds of filters and skimmers at really great prices. good luck:)

dreeves

Do a sump. More options and room for future expansion. Plus, you can build your own wet/dry cheaply. In addition to the sump, the LR/LS as well. A skimmer is an "as needed" basis. But, they are an excellent addition in the marine environment.