Sump Design Experts Help Please - Urgently

ashleigh234

Hi all
I have brought the below sump tank, and purchased the baffles as well, as per dimensions in picture below, what I am trying to figure out, is where will my water line sit in the Return section? Will it be where I have drawn the water line, or will it sit lower by the baffle?
Please help ASAP as its 2pm here and I am looking to assemble tonight. Thanks for any help!!

E

eric b 125

ashleigh, the 'max' fill line is dictated by how much water will be drained from your DT in the event of a power outage. the water drained from your DT has to be less than the empty volume of your entire sump. i'm off to work, then i'm heading up to the mountains for a snowboard session. by the time i get back, it should only be around 4 o'clock down under and i will be more than happy to walk through the math with you.

E

eric b 125

oh, by the way.... there's no need to put a valve on the drain lines. you want the drains to run wide open, and the flow going through your system can be adjusted by the valve on the return line.

al mc

As Eric suggests the water level depends on the drainage limitations and how you adjust your return valves. I do see the point in your drain line valve though as you are trying to adjust the amount of water going through your skimmer.

xcali1985

Originally Posted by Eric B 125
http:///forum/post/3202029
oh, by the way.... there's no need to put a valve on the drain lines. you want the drains to run wide open, and the flow going through your system can be adjusted by the valve on the return line.
Only reason you would put the valves on a drain line is so you can control the amount of water going through the external skimmer. The level that the water sits on your return chamber is determined by evaporation. and will lower over time. The other chambers will stay at the top of the each baffle and flow over it smoothly.
I personally use an auto top of that keeps my water level right at the very edge of my return baffle that way when the water flows over it breaks the water surface and it dosent get that milky haze from still water.
Excellent design though.

al mc

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3202098
You should never restrict the flow into your sump with a valve
That is true if there was a valve on a single line. Since he has a 'T' with restriction of the water flow only on part of the water flow he should be ok. Excess pressure/water flow would go through the skimmer unrestricted according to his diagram.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/3202203
That is true if there was a valve on a single line. Since he has a 'T' with restriction of the water flow only on part of the water flow he should be ok. Excess pressure/water flow would go through the skimmer unrestricted according to his diagram.
Al he is only restricting the flow into his sump. i am assuming he has a skimmer that contains pump with in the unit. what happens if he gets to much water in the skimmer chamber how does he reduce it

ashleigh234

Thanks for the input from everybody!
Few things:
Yes the only reason for the valve on the drain line is to push more flow through the skimmer, if there was no valve, not enough water would go through the skimmer as the level sits too low, so we have adjusted it to the right level, this has not caused any restriction as such.
A lot of people over here have their external skimmers gravity fed, unsure on whether this is common over there or not? It works great, as not relying on another pump to feed the skimmer and have the water going straight into the skimmer. I havent been able to pull too much crap out of the water via the skimmer as have had a filter sock on the set up as well which catches heaps, but once the sump is in, then i can remove the filter sock (fingers crossed theres no bubbles) and the skimmer should pull a lot more out.
I put the sump together last night with the same design as below, will test it tonight and see how the water levels sit with water (fresh) flowing through, and will leave it another day or two before putting it in the tank. I think it will really just be a matter of adjusting the return valve to suit so that the return section is sitting at a good level, if it comes to me having to get a powerhead for the display to increase circulation after dropping the return flow, then so be it.
PS Metric is so much easier :) I am forever using the unit converters online haha