Sump/fuge cleaning tips

fishyfun2

Ok, this may be a stupid thing to worry about, but I look at such beautiful refugium/sump pics on here, and mine is purely functional and looks ugly!! It has done wonders for my DT, never looked better up there. But my sump leaves something to be desired. My fuge is bare bottom glass, only housing a powerhead and a ball of chaeto. I know the flow isn't fantastic in the bottom of the fuge because I see some cyano in there. I've left it because everytime I mess with the PH in that chamber, I have trouble finding the "happy place" for my chaeto to tumble properly. I think I need a CUC for my sump. I've had a couple nerite snails take a ride down the overflow and clean things a little, but hasn't been a huge impact. Any tips on keeping things cleaner down there? I can't really siphon the bottom b/c it's too low to get one started. I should be able to use a PH for suctioning too, right? Just need different size tubing probably....Hmmm, any ideas?

Yes you can use a power head with a hose attached to suck up detritus. I just did this with my sump not more than an hour ago.

sjk2840

I to was always wondering if you are supposed to clean the sump. I am curious to see how everyone does this or if they even do. Thanks

nuro

theres a coupel things you can do, drain it, syphon out as much as possible then wetdry vac the rest, or skip the wetdry vac and leave the rest i guess thats up to you. for occasional cleaning ,persoanlly, i have a secondary pump i use to drain it out after using a turkey baster to get the detritus in the water column; not perfect but my sumps impossible to get out to syphon. hth.

juniors04

Originally Posted by nuro
http:///forum/post/3083447
theres a coupel things you can do, drain it, syphon out as much as possible then wetdry vac the rest, or skip the wetdry vac and leave the rest i guess thats up to you. for occasional cleaning ,persoanlly, i have a secondary pump i use to drain it out after using a turkey baster to get the detritus in the water column; not perfect but my sumps impossible to get out to syphon. hth.
ok thank you. Im going to use my vacume hose.