Sump or no sump?

kimnrob

Getting ready to start up my 55 this weekend..I have old equipment...undergravel, 2 whisper2's, a eheim canister..I was told a sump is the way to go and I am looking at $300 for a good system according to the store guys...I am assuming this is the better way..can I incoperate my quarentine tank with it and as an overflow backup? Whats a good brand..as far as reliability? I appreciate any input..I will be winging and will probably ask some dumb questions in the future..what a valuable source of information this place is...Every time I log in it costs me three hours..but fine tuning searches to see if my questions are already answered..

acrylic51

Many ways it can be done, but I'd vote sump route, but doesn't necessarily have to cost you $300.00 for a good setup.....What is the LFS calling a good setup........
Usually LFS and most of us won't agree......
As far as tying your quarantine system to your main system that is a definite NO.......Keep them separate....I say that for the mere fact that is what a quarantine tank is for to isolate/separate from your main system......

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/390988/sump-or-no-sump#post_3465227
Many ways it can be done, but I'd vote sump route, but doesn't necessarily have to cost you $300.00 for a good setup.....What is the LFS calling a good setup........
Usually LFS and most of us won't agree......
As far as tying your quarantine system to your main system that is a definite NO.......Keep them separate....I say that for the mere fact that is what a quarantine tank is for to isolate/separate from your main system......
What he said. I have a 55 and wish I went with a sump. My next tank is going to have a DIY sump.

icedtc

Definitely go with a sump if you can. Great way to add more volume to your setup and hide all of your mechanics. Minus the cost of the skimmer and return pump...my sump cost about 75 to make and that's because I bought a brand ewv20 gallon tank to use.

kimnrob

Wow..great information...I had a FOWLR 15 years ago..ok..maybe 20...and I have all the equipment..but like electronics..my stuff is outdated and the sump seemed like a better way...I guess I can use half my undergravel for the quarentine..I will research the video system for DIY...My initial thoughts are that it seems very simple..I also have a canister EHEIM 2213...I am thinking that is scrap as well? And how about still running a diatom filter quarterly? I am just clipping into 40 and I feel like the old man with all the old tools on the job cite watching the cordless tools in amzement..

njbillyv

You should just make a refugium out of a 20 gal. tank and problem solved. All you'll need is the tank, return pump, plexi-glass, and a protein skimmer. I bet you could do it for under $200 and you'd have a killer setup.
There are some good YouTube vids on how to make them.

sweatervest13

Do a DIY sump if you can. The LFS is just trying to make a nice profit. You can do a DIY and then have money left over for a nice skimmer. Sounds like you are on the right track, there are lots of videos on how to DIY.
I am not too sure about the under-gravel filters. I don't think many (if any) use them anymore. I would start the QT now and work on getting that cycled. That way you can be a little ahead of the DT (as far a cycling goes) and get the fish a head start.

beaslbob

A sump diy or otherwise can result in floods. Basically what can happen when you plump water from one container to another.
But you can get almost all the benefits by doing an in tank refugium.
what I did with my 55g was carm in a 1/4" square plastic grid from home depot ($12) about 3" in front ot the back glass. Then added a couple of 4' utilty shop lights behind the tank pointing forward. ($8/ fixture plus $6 for 2 6500k tubes). So the area between the back glass and plastic grid formed an in tank refugium. A couple of power heads at the top held it off the back glass and heater could be there as well. I filled that area with chaeto and other macros. Pods, snails, and the macros thrived in that area, conditioned the tank and provided food for the livestock in front. nitrates dropped to unmeasureable in 3 weeks with phosphates doing the same a few months later. Easy corals also thrives.
still just my .02

njbillyv

A sump or refugium won't result in a flood unless you build it incorrectly. But if you do the research and plan carefully I still say it's the best way to go.

scrapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBillyV http:///t/390988/sump-or-no-sump#post_3465375
A sump or refugium won't result in a flood unless you build it incorrectly. But if you do the research and plan carefully I still say it's the best way to go.
yes... calculate the pump rate, the position of the overflow box and of the return, Calculate the needed buffer volume of water susceptible to be flushed down by gravity in case of power failure. These are easy common sense steps to avoid any disaster. Just my .02

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBillyV http:///t/390988/sump-or-no-sump#post_3465375
The build has very little to do with it.....The proper setup of your water level and back siphon from the DT to the sump will dictate if it will flood or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapman
http:///t/390988/sump-or-no-sump#post_3465417
yes... calculate the pump rate, the position of the overflow box and of the return, Calculate the needed buffer volume of water susceptible to be flushed down by gravity in case of power failure. These are easy common sense steps to avoid any disaster. Just my .02
Rather confusing........Position of the overflow box has nothing to do with the equation. Rather determine what your flow "goal" is for the tank. Base your return pump off of that figure, and then factor in head loss.

lngliv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaslbob http:///t/390988/sump-or-no-sump#post_3465359
A sump diy or otherwise can result in floods. Basically what can happen when you plump water from one container to another.
But you can get almost all the benefits by doing an in tank refugium.
what I did with my 55g was carm in a 1/4" square plastic grid from home depot ($12) about 3" in front ot the back glass. Then added a couple of 4' utilty shop lights behind the tank pointing forward. ($8/ fixture plus $6 for 2 6500k tubes). So the area between the back glass and plastic grid formed an in tank refugium. A couple of power heads at the top held it off the back glass and heater could be there as well. I filled that area with chaeto and other macros. Pods, snails, and the macros thrived in that area, conditioned the tank and provided food for the livestock in front. nitrates dropped to unmeasureable in 3 weeks with phosphates doing the same a few months later. Easy corals also thrives.
still just my .02
beaslbob.... Do you have a pic of this setup ya got me interested the the in-tank fuge?? thanks

kimnrob

Wow...lots of ideas options and opinions...In a three chamber sump with the refugium, if I DIY I could add a skimmer? So I need a tank divided by three compartments...what do I still have to buy at the LFS..the pumps and what brands? As far as flooding, I built and enclosure in the basement for the tank and put synthetic floor in angled back..behind the wall is the utillity area with the floor drain...it would run there..also want to get this experience thinking next tank will be considerably larger as will be my son when I upgrade and would like to conver the whole wall with sump behind..anyway..a couple of decent brands and sizes for a 55 sump set up? BTW thank you all for sharing I truly appreciate it..

njbillyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/390988/sump-or-no-sump#post_3465422
The build has very little to do with it.....The proper setup of your water level and back siphon from the DT to the sump will dictate if it will flood or not.
Well the plumbing is as important as how you build the sump/fuge, however, if you build it wrong it will certainly be more prone to flooding. I've learned that the hard way, unfortunately.

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lngliv3 http:///t/390988/sump-or-no-sump#post_3465425
beaslbob.... Do you have a pic of this setup ya got me interested the the in-tank fuge?? thanks
+1 bang guy
I had a picture on this forum long time ago like 2004 or so.
All is was is just a "holey" partition in front of the back glass. (I used egg crate) Really easy to implement and your construction may (will?) probably draw more praise than mine.
I held mine off the back glass with lava landscape rocks at the bottom and powerheads at the top.
It was the addition of the 4' utility lights behind the tank that really made the difference with nitrates dropping in a few weeks. before that I just used a couple of 19w clip on and got lotsa macro growth but still had nitrates.
but actually it is so easy to implement and inexpensive you should give it a try. (It's also easy to de implement also. LOL)
my .02