sump/overflow hooked up but HELP PLEASE

delira5cal

We have our sump in and overflow on and all hooked up now we need to get it started. how much water do I need to put in the sump and how do you get the U on the overflow to start pumping water????

hckycoz

fill the sump with as much water as you plan on having in there and to start the siphon you'll need to suck the air out of the overflow.
What is the rate on the overflow and the rate on your return pump?

delira5cal

i am kind of new at this so bare with me, the return pump is a aqua pump/powerhead Rio+ 2500. the overflow I am not sure but the guy told us it is for our sump we bought it all together as a set. How do you get the air out of the U for the overflow? Sorry please help

delira5cal

oh I see now on the box of the powerhead the rates, etc. It says gallon per hour 0ft. is 382, 1 ft. is 352, 2 ft. 295, etc.

hckycoz

well you want the flow of your pump to be as strong or stronger than your overflow. If the flow is stronger you will have to plumb a bleeder pipe with a valve to keep the tanks from overflowing.
Is the overflow an actual overflow or is it a u tube?

delira5cal

It Is A Black Box Inside The Tank And A Clear Box Attached On The Black Hanging On The Back With A U Tube From The Black Box To The Clear One