Sump/Overflow Problem

wahoowa

Today I attempted to put my new setup together. This is my first built in overflow/sump setup and needless to say I had a couple problems. After the sand, foam rock wall, and water was in, I discovered that I was leaking water from where the pipes go to/return from the sump. So, my guess is that I didn't tighten the nuts enough right below the tank that help create the seal at the overflow holes - I'm explaining this really poorly. In short, I'm going to have to completely tear this thing down, tighten the nuts, use plumbing tape this time, and then silicone the nuts to the bottom of the tank. How tight should I make the nuts though? - I'm afraid I'm going to crack the tank if I tigthen them to the tank too much. Any other advice would really help. Thanks!

wahoowa

Where would I be able to get the rubber seals at? Is that something I could pick up at lowes or would that be a specialty item? I'll post pics when possible but everything is set up so I won't be able to take pics of the problem until its tore down.