Sump Question

kyaney

OK, another potential money pit. I have three reef tanks in my house (75, 90, 120). When I had the house, I actually had them built into it. I have each of the sumps (ecosystems) in the basement, each with their own room. The water is then pumped up to the tanks. Well, I bought a 7 gal nano about a month ago for my office. I want to make it look really nice and don't mind spending the money needed. My question is: Do I need a sump for this tank? If I do, it's not really a big deal, I'll just have a piece of furniture built that will hide it. But if not necessary, I would rather not.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

velocity

no you dont need a sump for a 7 gal. I wouls just go with a hang on filter along with a powerhead. Do you have an idea of what types of corals you wish to add?

norway

this is how i see it....
you seem to be the "DIY---efficient" type person. i have a 10gal and the biggest problem with mine is the evaporation. every day i have to fill it up or else my parameters get jacked up. and every week i have to do a 1 gal water change. NO, a sump is not needed on a 7 or 10 gallon, but if you have a small pump and plumbing to that room...you could easily fix that top-off/water change issue and get rid of the need for a filter. it would save you time and money in the long run.

norway

also....make sure to incorporate some kind of return nozzle from your sump that will provide all the circulation you will need. usually one powerhead does this in my 10gal but if pointed in the right direction, the return line will serve this function.