Sump question

crosby87

I have a QuietOne 2200 return pump for my sump. My return pump seems to be faster than the water coming into my sump, because after a few minutes of running the return pump, all of the water in the sump is near empty, and the return pump starts running dry.
My LFS, who drilled the tank so the water could flow out of it and said this pump would work fine. Any recommendations on what to do so this would work correctly?
Thanks

crosby87

I couldn't find that part anywhere locally. I switched the Quiet one pump with a power head and it stilled emptied the sump within a few minutes.
I can't figure it out. Is there a certain water level your sump should be at when you first turn the pump on? Any advice will help, thanks.

buckster71

that is also how i tell my filter pad is plugging. If you don't check it regularly as I didn't when I first started, it starts to hold water back and flows less. I got to the point where I change it every 3-4 days with the loading of my tank.
I always add about 1/2 gallon of RODI water every day in my tank. [75 gallon]
But adding a ball valve after your pump to the return also helps reduce your pump flow to the return

reefmate75

take your pump and shut it off, let all the water drain that is going to. and fill the water up to about 2-3" from the top and mark it, when pump is off, start the pump back up and mark that spot also as fill to line...when you turn the pump off if your sump isnt almost full your problem is you dont have enough water in the system. just add more water and gravty will pull the water through faster..
what size are the holes they drilled? most fish store put 1" bulkheads in, which isnt enough for a 2200 GPH pump
hope this helps...good luck