Sump Question

casper1875

I have a 75 gallon system that's been up and running for almost 2 years. My son had bought me a powder brown tang and I knew I would need a larger tank to keep him in. I found a bargin on a 180 gallon tank, I've been working on getting it set up for over a year.
I now have:
180 Tank with stand and canopy (can't use it with the light)
50 gallon Oceanic Sump
MSX 200 Protien Skimmer
Outer Orbit Pro - 3-250W light
Mag 18 pump
RO/DO unit (needs to be set up)
I have a friend coming over today to put the electricity in. I want the system to have 2 separate breakers.
The tank will be in the basement.
Sorry for the book, I just wanted to give as much information as I could.
My first problem now is that the protien skimmer has very little clearance.
Just enough room to get the cup out. Could I have the sump on the outside of the stand? I know I'll have to work out the plumbing. It's just really tight inside the stand.

spanko

Sure you can. I am starting to see a lot of people starting to make their refugiums as display tanks too. Macro algaes, shrimp, crabs, pods all make cool things to look at.

al mc

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3058024
Sure you can. I am starting to see a lot of people starting to make their refugiums as display tanks too. Macro algaes, shrimp, crabs, pods all make cool things to look at.
I agree. Both my sumps/refugiums are 20+ feet away from the Display tank and have very interesting life in them. My favorite mandarin is very happy living in the refugium that is full of pods.

casper1875

I'm really not sure about the plumbing. My 75 has HOB protien skimmer and filter. I'll have to figure out how to make it all work. My husband's really not into this at all. He thinks it's too much work and a waste of money. I've had problems with the 75. Free tank was given to me in July of 2007. I started reading and reading some more. Finally put water in it that August. Added fish in October and it started leaking in November.
Bought a new 75 and things were great. The pump went out on my protien skimmer and I bought a mag 5 for it. Last month, in the middle of the night, the hose come off and it pumped water everywhere. Some of the water splashed onto the power supply and it started a fire in the strip.The breaker was tripped and that stopped the pump. Lost about 35 gallons of water. Everything survived, but what a mess.

al mc

Casper....Noticed you live in Lancaster, PA.. There is a large Pet Store near you that has reasonably knowledgeable people about sump plumbing near you.
Also, a member here who has not posted recently, Acrylic51, is from that general area and has built many sumps for people. You might consider a PM to him. Nice guy.

casper1875

The local place has a guy named Jack that's great. He's helped me a lot. I got the electricty put in yesterday.

Maybe I'll stop by and see if Jack is there tonight.