Sump selection

I just picked up a 150gal glass tank. Im looking to put a sump filter and protein skimmer setup in the tank stand. Just wondering what size of sump would be the best size to run. Let's see some pictures of your systems. Want some input on what I should get. Im looking to put a mix of anemones, clowns, damsels, gobies, crabs and some other community fish. Has anyone used the ATM Colony starter. Thanks. This is going to be my first saltwater tank so any input would be great.

lmforbis

I made my sump out of a 40 gallon breeder. My tank is 120 gal. I’ll try to take some pics tonight

beaslbob

I would recommend you start the tank (or add if already started) with macro algaes like chaeto in some kind of refugium. Then do the rest. The macro algae will balance out and stabilize the system making it much more forgiving of my type mistakes.

For a sump/refugium, you might check out wall mart type storage containers.

For an overflow, if your tank is not drilled, you might look at DIY pvc overflows.

When setting up the sump adjust and test so that:

1) no floods occur power out.

2) normal operation without floods return when power is restored.

3) (and the one I forgot. LOL) no floods occur when the drain fails (syphon break, blockage, etc). The sump should run out of water before the upper container floods.

my .02

lmforbis

FD2BBF74-5F5C-473F-A980-2EE209483740.jpeg
726B6DC5-4855-4159-A3B2-643A3F8D1A0D.jpeg

This is my sump. It is in a small room in my basement below my tank. A 40 gallon breeder. The foot print is 36” wide by 18” deep and ~13 “ tall. Easy dimensions to work in. The chamber on the far right is the place the water drains from the tank into. My skimmer is in it. The center chamber is the refugium. I have rock rubble and some macro algae... the left chamber is the return where my return pump lives. The thing that looks like a skimmer to the left of the sump is an amazing skimate collector made by reef octopus. It not only collects the skimate but turns off the skimmer when it is full. To the left of that is my mixing station where I mix salt water. It is a 35 gallon norwesco tank. I can pump the new water directly into the tank when I do a water change.

View attachment 3613View attachment 3614
This is my sump. It is in a small room in my basement below my tank. A 40 gallon breeder. The foot print is 36” wide by 18” deep and ~13 “ tall. Easy dimensions to work in. The chamber on the far right is the place the water drains from the tank into. My skimmer is in it. The center chamber is the refugium. I have rock rubble and some macro algae... the left chamber is the return where my return pump lives. The thing that looks like a skimmer to the left of the sump is an amazing skimate collector made by reef octopus. It not only collects the skimate but turns off the skimmer when it is full. To the left of that is my mixing station where I mix salt water. It is a 35 gallon norwesco tank. I can pump the new water directly into the tank when I do a water change.
This is how I want to set up the big (220) system I have in mind for my house. All of the maintenance equipment will be downstairs, on the floor below the main display, and easily accessed. My knees are not as forgiving as they once were, so getting it out from under the tank stand will be nice. It looks like you have everything where you can reach it comfortably and contain the mess at the same time. Nice setup!

lmforbis

It works really nice for me. Everything is at counter top level. The only thing I have in the tank stand is my super low tech, gravity fed ATO. That is directly plumed to my RODI system so no need to ever deal with it.